Author Topic: Toronto electoral roll  (Read 10663 times)

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Toronto electoral roll
« on: Saturday 16 February 08 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Could someone please tell me if there are electoral rolls available on line for Toronto for 1964.

I am looking for Walter Jenkins (aged mid 60's) and his wife Sadie. 

Thanks.

Cheers, Chris

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto electoral roll
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 08 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Chris,

I don't know about the electoral records but I was able to look through the Toronto city directories yesterday.  There were several Walter Jenkins (not to mention many W. Jenkins).  They seem to have had working lives far beyond what I would expect of someone in his mid-60s in 1964.

The one Walter worked at Brown's Bread and resided at 150 Morse with Henry Jenkins according to the 1963-68 directories.  He switches employer to the Royal York Hotel and residence to 146 First Ave.  He was still working in 1978-79.

The second one, Walter H., shows up in 1965 as a shipper with Canadian Westinghouse, residing at 34 Snaresbrook Drive in the Rexdale/Etobicoke section of Metro Toronto.  He was still working in 1978-79.

The third one, Walter S., is in the 1965 and 1967 directories.  He's residing in apartment 412 at 3 Du Maurier Blvd and no profession is listed.  Could this be your Walter? 

I also looked for Sadie but never found her listed.

mat

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello mat

Thanks for your help. I must have taken a while to look through the directories.
I thought by looking at the electoral rolls I may be able to find Walter and any other family members.

It's a long story and it was a long shot in trying to find them in Toronto. 

My husband's grandma (Gladys) and Walter were first cousins.  Until I read her travel diary of a trip to US / Canada in 1964, we didn't know of Walters existence.

Their mothers were Home Children.  Gladys's mother was sent to Aust and we are not sure where Walter's mother was sent.  Still investigating if she came to Aust - just waiting for some marriage & death certs. to arrive with the next few weeks. 

But in the travel diary in June 1964 it says that Walter and his wife met Gladys & her husband for the first time and had lunch together.  It also explains that Walter was the son of Gladys's mothers sister Leila.  The  sisters were Sally & Eliza Marchant.  Perhaps a nickname Eliza / Leila ?  Eliza born London  abt. 1875.

Anyhow if you can throw any light on where else to look, it would be appreciated.  Hope the certs. wont take too long to arrive.

Many thanks for your assistance.  :)
Cheers from Chris in Aust.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 08 00:13 GMT (UK) »
mat and cristobel, May I chip in on the discussion please with a question?

Does the Toronto City Directory tell you the names of all those living in the household at a particular address?

The reason I ask is that in the 1943 Toronto Directory is Henry HARGREAVES, architect,  of 103 Pickering St Toronto.  What I am trying to find out is who else was living  in that house, in particular the name and sex of the child who was there.    Will the City Directory tell me that or where must I seek  the info?

Any help appreciated and hope you don't mind me joining in with a question,
Thanks,
charlotte

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte,

The city directories usually list only the principal resident and any working adults.  The censuses are pretty much your only source of information on other residents.  Unfortunately the census of 1911 is the latest one that's available to the public.

mat

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 04:04 GMT (UK) »
mat,
Thanks for your reply and the miserable news it carried! I feared that would be the case but thought it worth checking the contents of the directory.
I have asked another question on the list about adoptions and /or legal name changes as that may be the way the situation of the child's surname was dealt with.

No end of questions in family history and when an answer bobs up for one matter it inevitably leads to another question.

Thanks again mat for you help,
charlotte

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 06:05 GMT (UK) »
You can check here to see if Walter's mother was sent to Canada.

National Archives - Home Children
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/home-children/index-e.html

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 March 08 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have finally received the certificates about the Marchant girls - Sophia, Eliza & Sally.   :D   
They all came out to Aust and married.  Sally died in 1903 (Phthisis) dont know what that is !  Then Sophia died in 1908 from TB. 

Eliza Sarah Marchant married Joseph Walter Reuben Jenkins in 1896 in Sydney, New South Wales. 

I cant find any further evidence of Eliza & Joseph in Aust, so I am wondering if they went to Canada after her two sisters died.  (She had other siblings who were sent to Canada as Home Children in 1883)   So the next step is to try and find a birth of the Walter Jenkins mentioned in the travel diary of 1964.  (son of Eliza / Leila) and then his marriage.  Are these events too recent to try & trace.

Maybe my man is the one living in Apartment 412 as per mat's post.

What avenues should I be persuing or is this a bit of a lost cause !!!
Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Chris

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 March 08 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Here's your thread on the BHC Marchants, Chris...you may want to post that info there
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,279451.msg1659970.html#msg1659970
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com