Author Topic: Lavagh townland  (Read 4728 times)

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lavagh townland
« on: Saturday 16 February 08 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am hoping to revisit Ireland later this year to do some more research on Thomas Helford (Hilford/Helfort) who married Bridget Feehilly (Fehilly/Feeley) in Strokestown in 1865. They had at least 3 children in Ireland and lived in Lavagh in the parish of Kilglass. If anyone has any further information on this family, please get in touch.

Thank you.
helford, feehilly, muldowney, evers

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lavagh townland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 08 00:05 GMT (UK) »
found one birth to this couple, but no marriage for them.

MICHAEL HELFORD 20-11-1870. ROOSKEY, ROSCOMMON, IRE.

parents. THOMAS HELFORD & BRIDGET FEHELY.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lavagh townland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Mary - thanks for replying. I do have this birth. What makes the family very difficult to trace is that at various times the surname has been listed as Elwood, Telford, Telfer and Helford!

After much searching, I found the marriage record for Thomas and Bridget and births of 3 children in Ireland. However, there are inconsistencies between the father's name listed for Thomas on the civil marriage record and the parish record in 1864 - so I have not got much further and would welcome some advice if possible!
Thomas' father is named as James Telford on his marriage certificate, and as John Hilford in the parish register. His death certificate names his father as Thomas Telfer and his mother as Mary Rodden, but this was recorded by a daughter who had never lived in Ireland.  Address on marriage and parish records is Cargin.
Bridget's father's name is Thomas Fehely. Mother's name on death certificate is Margaret Collins.

The 3 children born in Ireland all have Lavagh as their birthplace and I did find a John Helfort listed in Griffiths in Lavagh also.

I have found death records of a John Helford and Brigid Helford in Lavagh in the 1870s, suggesting they were born around 1803 for John and 1812 for Bridget. I would like to know if they are related to Thomas - and even if they could be his parents.

I intend to visit the area in May and would love to make further connections with the family.

Marie

helford, feehilly, muldowney, evers