Author Topic: Baptist BMD Records - Advice Needed Please  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist BMD Records - Advice Needed Please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 March 08 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Marcie

John married Henrietta in Hornsey.

Henrietta Bearup
John Doggett 
Hornsey, Middlesex

Marrying out of area may indicate a dislike of the local Anglican church or just that both or one of them were indeed of the parish at the time (and not just the three weeks of necessary residency to marry).

Stefan

What sort of Baptists was New Mill? I did manage to find the minutes of the local Baptist church I was interested in (Strict) but that was all that survived and then only for a few years.

http://www.baptisthistory.org.uk/basicpage.php?contents=familyHistory&page_title=Family%20History

which wiil also give you the email address of the 'Strict Baptist Historical Society'.

From my experience of non-conformist registers the Society of Friends (Quakers) were superb record keepers, and the Baptists, on a scale of record keeping - and probably just as importantly survival of such records, languish at the bottom of the scale.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 March 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
hi stefan & valda
i have got a copy of john & henrietta,s marriage lines, (which gave no other info but the date ) i did wonder how john met henrietta but assumed as she was born in london he may have been working in the area, it,s begining to look as if i shall never find his birth record, so now must think of other ways, i did find from hals various will for the doggett family but none mentioning john, still i appreciate your help, & will carry on looking
many thanks for all info & advice
regards marcie
anthony.rowbottom.doggett. hertfordshire.
edwards. astill. warwickshire.
bunch hampshire

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 March 08 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Stefan

What sort of Baptists was New Mill? I did manage to find the minutes of the local Baptist church I was interested in (Strict) but that was all that survived and then only for a few years.

http://www.baptisthistory.org.uk/basicpage.php?contents=familyHistory&page_title=Family%20History

which will also give you the email address of the 'Strict Baptist Historical Society'.

From my experience of non-conformist registers the Society of Friends (Quakers) were superb record keepers, and the Baptists, on a scale of record keeping - and probably just as importantly survival of such records, languish at the bottom of the scale.

Regards

Valda
Hi Valda,

I must plead guilty to getting very confused about my 'flavours' of Baptists.

I have no excuse really - my grandfather was a Baptist minister.  :-[

So far as I'm aware New Mill, Tring was 'Particular' Baptist Chapel, which I think, but am not certain is the same as 'Strict'. (I know people broke away from it to form "less strict" alternatives!).

I'll be honest though, I've not so far tried to approach the chapel directly recently, about retained records.

Some years back I chased the then minister a couple of times, who seemed to know little of any records, but promised to get someone to contact me who might.

I was never contacted, failed to chase it up, and believe that minister moved on.

Clearly I need to try again with the chapel, before trying to locate records elsewhere.

I do know one of the other Tring Baptist Chapels, (Akeman Street, where my grandfather was once minister), has a record of burials after a certain date, but apparently little on births to members, and nothing on marriages, (or at least not for dates when a civil registrar would have to have attended the wedding).

An extract I have from the burial records has been most useful with one of my surnames, and quite few of my ancestors are buried there.

Anyway, I'm hi-jacking a thread for something unrelated, so will stop!

Stefan