Author Topic: Baptist BMD Records - Advice Needed Please  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: baptist bmd records advise needed please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 February 08 16:41 GMT (UK) »
The births, baptisms and marriages on BMDregisters.co.uk are pretty much the same as those found on the IGI and the British Isles Vital Records Index, so it's always a good idea to try them first before parting with your hard-earned on BMDregisters. The IGI is pretty much complete for the main series of Non-parochial Registers held by TNA in RG4, and most (but definitely not all) of the births in the two Registries in RG5 are on the BIVRI (although I have seen some of these entries on the IGI too). Both indexes allow a certain amount of flexibility with the spelling of names, which is helpful, and there will be differences in interpretation so it will always be worth trying all of them if you are stuck. You can also search by parents' names on the IGI an d BIVRI, while BMDregisters has an 'all names' option in its advanced search, which is cruder, but can include the names of grandparents in some entries.

There is a smaller collection of Non-parochial Registers in RG8 that will be added to BMDregisters later, as will the Quaker records in RG6, and the fiendishly complex records in RG7, which are not entirely accurately referred to as 'Fleet Marriage Registers'. Finally TNA's collection of Miscellaneous Foreign Returns in RG32-36 will be added - and those are even more fiendish than the 'Fleet' stuff. Great stuff, but 'non-standard' doesn't even begin to describe them!

In its present form, the two great advantages of BMDregisters are the links to digitised images, and also that they have indexed the burial registers, most of which had never been indexed before.

Mean_genie

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 February 08 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mean_genie

I agree and only use the BMDregisters as a last resort, hence finding the baptism I allude to earlier which is not on the IGI.  I don't know whether it is on the BIVRI as I am not 100% sure I know what that is  :-\

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 February 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Kerry

BIVRI is an LDS database, not unlike the IGI, with entries taken only from registers (ie no individual submissions). It sometimes gives more information that the IGI, but unfortunately it is not available online. You can buy it as a set of CDs, direct from the LDS, and some record offices and libraries have it too.

Mean_genie

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 February 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
mean_genie

Thank you, I am with you now and know what it is.  :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist BMD Records - Advice Needed Please
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 February 08 08:04 GMT (UK) »
There is only one Hertfordshire non-conformist record from RG5 on the BVRI - for a later period

DOGGETT, John   
Birth Date:14 Dec 1834 Birthplace:Newnham, Hertford
Recorded in:Dr. William's Library; Nonconformist Registers
Father:William DOGGETT
Mother:Susanna FAIRCLOTH
Mother's Father:James FAIRCLOTH

If BMDregisters are going to have a go at indexing RG8 and particularly RG7 and RG32-36 I'm suddenly more interested. Since the Quakers replicated and indexed the records they gave up in 1837 if you can visit Friends House at Euston it is easier to access those records there than wade through them at TNA.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 February 08 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Marcie

That's the only one in RG5 on BMDregisters too, I've just checked.

Valda

Don't hold your breath for the other stuff, I think it will take some time for them to do! I think they are working on the RG6 Quaker records at the moment, because I found an RG6 entry in the index last week (but no image), which has since disappeared. So I guess they may be getting ready to upload these.

As for the others, I have particular concerns about RG7, and not just because of the content. Quite a lot of the images are unreadable on the films because they originals were mended at some point with what looks to be a tape with a shiny surface. Fine on an original, but reflects the light from the camera when filmed. So to get legible copies they will need to have gone back to the originals and scan them, which obviously takes extra time. RG32-36 are generally in better shape, but a lot of the documents are in foreign languages. Some of the RG4 registers are also in foreign languages, and these were not loaded onto the site until quite some time after the initial launch.

We shall see

Mean_genie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 February 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Mean_genie

I got a very useful 'French death certificate' from the Foreign Returns but it was very pot luck on searching the indexes such as they are. Also one irregular marriage so far from The Fleet marriages and Mark Herber's indexes.

http://www.francisboutle.co.uk/booklist/marriage2/index.htm

Regards

Valda

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 February 08 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Valda

'Pot luck' is about right for those indexes in RG43 (I remember when they were books in the Long Room at Chancery Lane ;)), they even contain references to records that aren't in TNA any more because they were returned to the GRO decades ago!

Did you know that quite a number of RG7 entries, mainly marriages but some baptisms, have been added to the IGI relatively recently? They are not always easy to identify, but there are thousands of them, in batches starting with I, but with no other source details.

Mean_genie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 February 08 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Mean_genie

also the fun of negotiating the metal spiral staircase at the end of the room - books if I remember rightly were on the left.

I didn't know about the additions to the IGI. I rather rely on Hugh Wallis website for 'isolating and interrogating sections' of the IGI and he has nothing on batches beginning with I

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGISpecialBatches.htm#PageTitle

Certainly the marriage I found in Mark Herber's index has not made it to the IGI yet and I can't find the batch numbers concerned with the Fleet from the library

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlehitlist&columns=*%2C0%2C0&keyword=fleet&prekeyword=fleet

Regards

Valda