Author Topic: Which Couple?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline durham1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Couple?
« on: Sunday 17 February 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I have hit a problem in my family history research...

...I found my ancestor ''Joseph Durham b.1819'' in the baptism records for the parish of ''Hemingbrough, Yorkshire'', the record says his parents were ''William and Hannah Durham'' so from there i did an a search on a marriage in ''Hemingbrough'' for ''William and Hannah'' between 1750-1820 and this created 2 results, however 2 different Williams married to 2 different Hannahs, now how do i know which marriage is for the parents of joseph? Both dates of 1788 and 1816 for the 2 marriages could be possible. This has created a problem because if i was to search for Joseph's Brothers and sisters how do I know which couple are there parents?

I searched for the baptism of William (married to hannah) between 1730-1820 and it produced 2 results, William baptised 1764 or 1804

Anybody got any ideas?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Couple?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
this is difficult
did your ancestor have known siblings, i.e some you already know of if they were born prior to the second marriage its likely the first couple are yours.
i have come across this before but the years were much closers 5 years apart and for which i attrbuted the children born prior to the second marriage to the first couple, not foolproof by any means but it gives you a better idea of who does belong to who.
look for all bapt of children of the same surname beloning to william / hannah if there are two of the same name and both children survived i would attribute one to each couple.
is there a death for either of the first couple before the birth of your ancestor?
how old was the first Hannah when the birth of your relative occured? if she was in her 50's would it be likely she was still having children? possible but unlikely in my opinion.

just some suggestions
Toni
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline durham1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I dont know of any siblings to joseph, i was hoping to find joseph living it at his parents home in the 1841 census but he is missing in that census all together. Joseph could be a child of either of the 2 couples though. Without knowing a definite sibling its gonna be impossible.

both hannahs ages will be approximatly 30-50 so both can conceive

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
 I think you should try to construct as much detail of both families as you can.  The difference between their marriages is sufficient that you should be able to distinguish between them in a lot of cases.  In doing this you could well stumble over the vital clue as to which one Joseph belonged.

He could be a witness to a marriage, the informant of a death or anything similar.  In the same way if you have dispatched some of the possible parents the informant of the birth of any children of Joseph could help.

Going further back the names of any grandparents can also be a lead.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline durham1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »
i have found a few children of the first couple (william and hannah married 1788) so i will look to see if i can link joseph with them,

Offline Hemingbrough Historian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Just wandering thru Parish registers and noticed Joseph Durham baptised 27 October 1817 to William and Ann Durham jnr lab of Cliffe. 
No Joseph of any surname  baptized 1819 and only one Durham, Isaac to John & Elizabeth jnr lab of Cliffe.

Does this help at all?

H.H.   
Atkin and Jarvis of Spalding, Lincolnshire; Markham of East Yorkshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Can you match up the correct William and Hannah by his occupation or their abode if listed on chlidren's baptism records?

Offline Hemingbrough Historian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 January 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
1( William Durham (X) married Hannah Thompson (X) in 1788, both of Cliffe.

2) William Durham (X) wid(ower) labourer of Cliffe married Mary Armitt (X) spinster of Cliffe

3) William Durham (X) otp (Hemingbrough) married Hannah Forth (X) spin otp Nov 11 1816 banns with Thomas Durham as one witmess.

Suggest 1816 marriage was between bachelor & spinster so is not the William Durham of 1788 remarrying in old age.  Does this help?

Would be interested to exchange Durham family tree information as Jane Durham 1845 of Cliffe is in my tree, she married William Blenkhorn

I live in Hemingbrough if anyone wants local info etc.

Hemingbrough Historian 
Atkin and Jarvis of Spalding, Lincolnshire; Markham of East Yorkshire