Author Topic: Huckin family missing from every census!  (Read 6725 times)

Offline masha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huckin family missing from every census!
« on: Sunday 17 February 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone suggest where I look for my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather and his family? 
I can find him, Edward and his wife Ester, listed as the parents of my Gt Gt Grandfather, Thomas, at his baptism in Enstone, 15th May 1831 (parish record)

There is no record of the family on any of the census returns.  I know that Thomas married Rebecca, they were both 18, and I can find them on the census returns.  Thomas died in Enstone in 1898 and  Rebecca is listed on the 1901 census living with her son and family. 

I would love to know where Edward and Ester(possibly Hester) came from and where they lived. 

Any suggestions as to where I can look, or as to why I can't find the family on 1841 etc census?

Many thanks
Masha

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Huckin family missing from every census!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Masha,

Unfortunately Thomas isn't with his parents in 1841  :-\

HO107/878/11 5 5
Enstone, Oxfordshire

Thomas Herbert, 64, Ag lab
Jane, 66
Thomas Huckin, 10

Have you checked possible deaths yet?  :-\
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 08 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Masha ...

From the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837):

20 NOV 1823 - Edward HUCKING to Hester HERBERT at Enstone

And from the IGI, two children baptised at Enstone:

14 OCT 1827 - Eliza HUCKINGS
15 MAY 1831 - Thomas HUCKING

Also on the IGI, could this be father Edward:

Parish of Chadlington - 27 APR 1788 - Edward HUCKIN, s. William and Mary

As you will see from the map at http://searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/pardata.html, Enstone and Chadlington are almost adjacent.

It may be worth checking the Chadlington PRs to see if this Edward continues to live in the parish (marrying, producing offspring, etc.).  FreeBMD has a death for an Edward HUCKIN (aged 83) in 1871.  The death is registered in Chipping Norton (which incs. Enstone and Chadlington), so this is almost certainly the Edward baptised in 1788 above.

On Tati's 1841 census entry, it would seem that Thomas is with his maternal grandparents.  I can find no sign of parents Edward and Hester, or sister Eliza, on this or subsequent censuses, so it may be that the rest of the family died.  Have you checked the Enstone PRs for any burials?  If nothing turns up there, then you can have a search done by the OFHS of the Oxfordshire NBI.

I also checked the OMI/FreeBMD to see if Hester had remarried, but couldn't find anything to confirm this.

Not sure if this is any help ... or not!

Pennie

NB All surnames spelt as recorded.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline masha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 08 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information.  I know that the Huckin family is inter-related across various parishes in Oxfordshire, so I definitely  need to check Chadlington.  Perhaps the family did die before the 1851 census, but then the death of an Edward in 1871 would suggest that he at least was alive, but where?  The mystery deepens.

Your help is much appreciated and will give me more leads for my next trip to the local libraary.

Regards
Masha

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 08 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Morning both  :)

The Edward born 1788 Chadlington is found in Chadlington through census until 1871. He's married to a Martha.  :-\
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 08 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the register transcripts of Enstone

burial 1831 Oct  8th Edward Hucking gaed 35 otp

the marriage of Edward to Hester in 1823 was witnessed by Edward Bennett & William Herbert

Although Edward is 'otp'  he was not born there,  the first Huckin (and varients) entry in the transcripts in the marriage in 1823

but at least now you now that you are looking for the baptism of an Edward Huckin about 1796,  and why you can't find him on the census - not sure what happened to Hester though, there is no burial or remarriage for her that I could see in the parish

:)

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline masha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 08 19:37 GMT (UK) »
All this info is really helpful, many thanks.  Thomas was only a few months old when his father died if this information is correct and that could explain why he is living with his maternal grandparents in 1841, by 1851 he is married with his own family.  Perhaps Hester moved away and married someone from another parish.  I'll keep looking.

What a fantastic service from Rootschat people and early in the morning as well - glad to know that  I'm not the only one accessing the site at these early times.

Regards
Masha

Offline Huckin55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 March 08 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Masha.
Thomas was my Gt Grandfather. Edward did indeed die shortly after Thomas' birth. I am Ian Huckin, born 1955.
This next part is Huckin Folklore from Thomas' youngest son - Walter. Hester, Thomas and Elizabeth moved to somewhere in Northants, but Thomas came back to live with relatives.
There was another Daughter - Ann (shown as Hutchins in Baptism Records, but she was certainly their's) who married Stephen Taylor, landlord of the 'Crown Inn', Church Enstone.
What happened to Hester and Elizabeth, no-one knows. Where Edward was born is also a mystery. He could have been illegitimate and changed his name (there was a George born about that time); never baptised; or could have been from Combe - another hotbed of Huckin's, and their records for that time were destroyed in a fire.
I have a quite comprehensive and up-to-date tree if you wish to share, and I also have an Aunt who remembers almost everyone from 1927 onwards (she has all her marbles). I live in Enstone, as does my Aunt.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 March 08 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Masha ...

Following on from Ian's information (above), just wondering if Hester could have remarried in Northamptonshire?  Possibly worth checking the Northants. MI!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.