Author Topic: Huckin family missing from every census!  (Read 6724 times)

Offline masha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huckin family missing from every census!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 March 08 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian
Thank you for the information.  I have puzzled over this family for the last few weeks.  I'm more than happy to share my tree, just let me know how we can do this.
I used to stay in Enstone during summer holidays, I stayed with my Gt Aunt, Gertrude Hawtin, she lived in Cleveley Road I think.  As you will probably know, the Huckin and Hawtin families are linked in a number of generations.

Thank you also to Pennie - I haven't had a chance to look at other records, I had wondered if Hester moved to Banbury and remarried, but Northants is just as likely.

:) Masha

Offline Huckin55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 March 08 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Well, guess where I live in Enstone!!! Yes indeed, the Hawtin's are still around. I see some of them regularly. Lil, who lived in Cleveley Rd, died less than 3 years ago. Her husband was Henry, and her mother-in-law was Ethel Huckin.
By the way, I have checked Northants Census' for Hester and Elizabeth, but no joy. Maybe BMD would show Elizabeth marrying?
Have you thought about joining the Banbury Geanlogical list? A nice friendly bunch, and not too much rubbish. Type Banburyshire in google and it will take you to the website, which will give you the link to that list. My e-mail address is irhuckin@aol.com if you wish to contact me directly.

Ian

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 April 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Newbie here... :-)

Edward is my 4th great-grandfather and like Masha I'm drawing blanks before him. Well, direct line blanks... there's lots of parallels but nothing direct. Ancestry.co.uk tried to put William Huckin as his father, but the DoB they gave meant he would have been 9 at the time... however, I wondered if William might actually have been a brother...

I can find *a* William that married Mary Ann Newman on 24/1/1765, then he married Mary Gardner on 3/6/1784. Can't find any children from this yet.

I started a tree on My Heritage that's got a little out of hand with 1500+  people in it for both myself and my wife ( her sides goes back indirectly to 1591). Decided to start again and only put "significant" people in on Ancestry.co.uk, then will upload to MyHeritage once it's where I'd like it.

I was born in Sheffield, moved to Hull, then to Lancashire in 1999. We now live near Preston which ironically is where my grandfather was born, but I never knew. Trying to work/find out  why the only branch of the Huckin tree we ever kept in touch with (and that was very rare) was my father's sister June who was  his step sister from his mother's first marriage. Despite his father (Eric Walter) being part of a bigger family, we never saw any of them. Found out that some of them died in this area in the last 15-20 years...

Also... according to the Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Baptism, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812 (page 17 of 72) Hester's parents were Nicolas and Mary, so perhaps Thomas Herbert is an uncle?

Ann Huckin seems to have been born in 1824 and died in 1861, Eliza seems to be 1827-1880

Tym

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

From the register transcripts of Enstone

burial 1831 Oct  8th Edward Hucking gaed 35 otp

the marriage of Edward to Hester in 1823 was witnessed by Edward Bennett & William Herbert

Looking further at this page of the marriage register, Edward Bennett was witness at 3 of the 6 weddings on those pages. Fanny Bennett was witness at 2 and Thomas Bennett was witness at 1.

Begs the question of whether the Bennetts were the go-to family for wedding witnessing if parents were not around...?

This implies that both Edwards Huckin's parents died before November 1823. The only records of Huckins who died before 1823 (and not to old to father Edward) were out of county.

Sorry to add (again) to a rather old thread, but I'm hoping someone will still pick this up and run with it.