Author Topic: 1944 Fraserburgh Harbour (COMPLETED WITH THANKS)  (Read 7015 times)

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1944 Fraserburgh Harbour (COMPLETED WITH THANKS)
« on: Tuesday 19 February 08 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know of a tragic accident on or about 25 April 1944, which resulted in the death of John James Cowe  Urquhart aged 18 years.   His parents being Richard Urquhart & Chrissie Bruce from Rosehearty. 

It is believed that he died trying to help someone else. 

Maureen
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic Accident 1944 Fraserburgh Harbour
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 08 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,
I live in Fraserburgh. I will go down to the library tomorrow and look for any mention of it in the microfilm archive of the Fraserburgh Herald (the library shut at 12 today).

Unless someone beats me to it.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 08 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Incidently, are you the Maureen with links to a Noble Family of Broadsea? If s we are probably related somehow. My great grandmother was a Noble from Broadsea/Fraserburgh.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Winsdsor87

Thanks for your offer of checking out the archives at the library for me, much appreciated. 

Yes it is me with Noble connections to The Broch.  My grandparents were Wilson Noble & Rachael Cardno ( he owned the boat building business named after him at the Balaclava Basin).    It closed down in 1959, it was then Dad decided to emigrate to New Zealand.

My great grandparents being Alexander Noble 1858-1924, who married Elizabeth Noble 1860-1918, and the previous generation was Alexander Noble 1833-1915 & Betsy Crawford 1837-1885.

We have to be related somewhere along the line.  Look forward to hearing from you again.

Maureen

Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 08 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Here are the extracts:

Fraserburgh Herald: 2nd May 1944

Fatality at Harbour.
Drowned Trting to Save Companion.

A young man who went to the aid of a companion in difficulties in Fraserburgh Harbour on Tuesday evening lost his life in the gallant attempt.
He was John James Urquhart, apprentice electrician, employed by Mr Murray Mackie, electoral engineer, Peterhead, and 18 year old son of Mr Richard Urquhart, Warrent Officer Engineer, RN, whose home is at 2 Dingwall Street, Roseheart.
About 6.35pm on Tuesday, Urquhart and three other young men,all of whom are employed on board ships in course of construction in Fraserburgh Harbour decided to have a sail in a small flat-bottom punt which was lying alongside one of the ships. They procured two fish boxes, and two of the lads sat side by side at one end of the punt and two side by side at the other end. Usinf small boards they then commenced to paddle about in Balaclava Harbour.
         About five minutes later the punt suddenly capsized and all four were thrown into the water. Urquhart and two others succeeded in reaching the ships and hung on to the fenders over the sides. Urquhart then observed that one if his companions was in difficulties some little distance away and swam off to his assistance. They both disappeared, his companion rose and was rescued but Urquhart did not return to the surface.
Grappling hooks were got and in about fifteen minutes later Urquhart was hauled to the surface, and immediately taken on board one of the ships and artificial respiration of the Schafer method applied for about an hour. He was then removed in the First Aid Post where the rocking stretcher, or Eve's method of artificial respiratioon, was applied till about midnight when life had to be pronounced extinct by Dr Slessor, who had been in attendance during the long and preserving effort to bring the lad round.

One week later:
Fraserburgh Herald: 9th May 1944.
Acknowledgements
Urquhart
- Mr & Mrs Richard Urquhart and Family desire to return sincere thanks to the doctors and all willing helpers at Fraserburgh Harbour and First Aid Post; also for king expressions of sympathy extended to them in their sudden bereavment, from their many friends and neighbours (both personally and by letter); also for many floral tributes.
                     - 2 Dingwall Street, Rosehearty.

Hope this can be of some use to you. There was no mention of who his companions were, or which one he attempted to save.