Author Topic: Tiggi's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 69227 times)

Offline TwistedTwigs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tiggi's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonnie
Lets start again lol was in middle of writing 1st post and had phone call
I wouldn;t presume to say I am the only person in England ...

I am 5th generation Buckland from Tenet Buckland think that makes me his 5 x Grt grand child ?
Are you actually related to Buckland family or just doing research ?
either way would love to know what you have and can exchange info...tiggi

Tiggi,

I would like to address my interest(s) in the Romany family lines before anyone gets their feelings hurt...  respecting that the Romany people have had to keep their lineage protected, as many in the world have such disdain for the people called Gypsies.

I have taken the introduction from my website, as it best explains how I landed in Romany Genealogy.  After reading it, you can better decide what you will or will not share with me.  I will respect anyone's wish to not share their family lineage.  I would, however, like to have the opportunity to post the information that I find (photos, newspaper articles, vital records) as they may be useful to some of you.

So... here it is:

"Kai zhal o vardon vurma mekela...
(where the wagon goes a trail is left).

A UP press release, July 16, 1951, referred to Toledo, Ohio, as the "unofficial national headquarters of gypsy tribes."  Again in 1937, three days before Christmas, Toledo made the National wire release when its Gypsy residents were removed from the East Side and relocated to a city park amidst a headline making winter storm.  Neither of these stories were carried in the Toledo Blade (our local paper).  How could it be that the rest of the nation knew more about Toledo's Gypsy population than her own residents?

The University of Toledo offers the course Gypsies (Romanies) and Travelers.  The final assignment for that class was to write a paper that addressed the question, "What is a Gypsy?"   As with any developing idea, the cephalocaudal approach (head before arms and trunk and arms and trunk before legs or in this case start where you live and gradually grow outwards) is the most managable.

Equipped with an overview of some common Gypsy burial customs and a cemetery plot map (provided by the Professor)that had and "x" marked where motivated students just might be able to identify a Gypsy interment, we traipsed out into the snow covered cemetery."  

As for me, I am in my middle 40's and returned to school to complete my second degree in Obesity Studies... I am just fascinated by the fact that there is a culture of people in my hometown that has no recognition.   I have my own family line back into the 1400's and have been a genealogy buff for over a decade.  My spouse and I do all the traipsing about and share in this endeavor.

That all being said, I would really love to be a part of your group - if for no other reason than to offer you all what I find.  I have other people here in the USA that do not share - but I send them what I find.

My interest lies in the families interred here in Toledo.  I would like to know where they came from and how they are related, but am not so interested in compiling a "complete" family lineage on any or all of them (one cemetery alone has 200+ BROADWAY, WILLIAMS, COOPER, BUCKLAND, HICKS, BOSWELL, STANLEY, RILEY, HARRISON, WELLS, SMITHS - and ALL related)!  It is overwhelming!  I have yet to even explore the SMITHS buried with these lines (there are even more gray hairs in that family name)!

Hope that answers the question regaring my interest!

Have a great evening all!

Bonnie

TOLEDO, OHIO, USA -  FAMILIES:
BROADWAY, BRYER, BUCKLAND, BURTON, COOPER, HARRISON, HICKS, JEFFERY, JEFFREY, JEFFRY, LOVELL, RILEY, SHAW, SMITH, STANLRY, WELLS, WILLIAMS

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 08:37 BST (UK) »

Hi Tiggi, thanks for the link, it explains it all now.........very interesting, I'd no idea about the 'Shriners'

Bonnie, you're more than welcome on these threads.........I do believe the information you have would be really helpful to some of the girls, and thank you for your offer, it's most generous of you.    :)

Do let us know when your web site is up and running, I for one would love to see it.

Barbara

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Therapist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Sunday 31 August 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiggi, Please excuse if I am going over old ground here but have only just joined in on Rootschat.  I am researching the Bucklands in Berks/Buscks/Oxon and would be more than happy to send you what I have.  Please mail me direct at     

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

and I will send all.

Offline GYPSY GAL 1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Monday 06 December 10 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest can anyone help to find anything about Thomas Jeffery-Jeffery- Jeffs prior to the 1851 census
I am wondering if Keziah wife of Tenant Buckland is his sister as he was born 1828 she was born  abt 1832

Or has anyone seen anything about either a Unity Wells or Janey Ganey Wells ?

Toledo, Ohio was home to many Romani in the late 1800's.  We have been working diligently to locate everyone's burial location and photograph the headstones.  We will have a website up and running by the end of July, 2008.

We do, in fact, have a Thomas Jeffery interred here in Toledo, Ohio... his dates, however, do not match yours.  His family plot is located next to BROADWAY(s), WILLIAMS, and another JEFFERY.

Thomas Jeffery born August 29, 1844
Wife Annie S. Jeffery born September 7, 1844
And their children...

I attached a photo.  Hope this helps you on your journey.

my grandmother was EDITH ANN "" ANNIE"" BUCKLAND, her father was Plato Buckland and her mother was a jeffery, i believe  we are talking about the same people . her brothers were Mark, josha and tennent and she had several sisters , kiggy,gazar, and many more . She is also buried in ohio with her husband henry stanley

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 05:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi Gypsy Gal... and welcome to Rootschat.   I'm sure once Tiggy, Cathay, Cookie and Bonnie read your post, they'll be in touch.

All the best

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
To gypsygal if you go to website below you will find Tiggi's family history info lots of info  there about the Bucklands etc .

http://gypsyjib.wetpaint.com

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Gyspy Gal

If you're related to Tiggy ...you're related to Me !!!  :) and errr lots of other cousins on this site!

Enjoy!

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone sorry I could not access site yesterday ,but was told about this message :
GypsyGal
Yes we are cousins :
Plato would have been my Grt Uncle

My Grt Grandfather Nelson Buckland was Plato 's older brother he was eldest child of Tenet & Kezia and he & Thomas another older brother were only  2 who stayed in England all the rest of Family went to live in America abt 1904 last time they left England

My Grt Grandfather died in 1908 in Devonshire

Your Grandmother Annie Buckland was daughter of Plato Buckland & Priscilla Jeffery
Plato was youngest son of Tenet Buckland & Kezia Jeffs/Jeffery
Priscilla was daughter of Mark Jeffery & Allganey Stanley
Mark Jeffery was son of Thomas Jeffery & Ganey* Jane * Wells
Allaganey Stanley was daughter of Owen Stanley & Harriet Whorton

I am not sure who Henry Stanley line is as in Parents if you can tell me I am sure I can link them up

Mark Jeffery actually married 2nd time to Plato's sister Ester Buckland
His father Thomas Jeffery also married twice he married Amelia Stanley who's mother was Elizabeth Smith
I have lots on Family line and as my friend romanygenes has said please do look at my site romanyjib where you will find lots of relatives  : ))
 Look forward to chatting with you
I have been researching our family along time now and too much to write here lolol

Hi Debs long time chat.. wonderful we have yet another part of our family found  :)
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 10:00 GMT (UK) »

Tiggi, another relative............  That's great      :) :)

Barbara
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton