Author Topic: Where do I look next  (Read 2313 times)

Offline eejayess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where do I look next
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where to look next for a marriage record. I have been on "Scotlands People" and wasted loads of credits trying to find the marriage of James Smith and Agnes McFadzean, according to the birth records of 5 children it states that they were married June 21st 1883 at Airdrie.
Can anyone tell me what RC churches would have been in Airdrie at that time and whether they would still have records.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I look next
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't it just be easier to send for the certificate and end your torment. You have a date and an area and names so just use your money to get the actual facts. If you are unsure of the date they do a 3 year search of the marriage.
It costs a bit more but I think its worth getting the actual article and have the proof in hand.

You don't need any ref no to get a cert although it does make it easier. 

I have got certs several times this way.

Hope this helps Anjo

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eejayess, There are many ways to spell McFadzean,
e.g McFadyen, McFadzen.
When searching on 'scotlandspeople' if your not sure of the spelling you can use * i.e  McFad*
Since you know their place and date of marriage, you can search using John Smith, spouse Mcfad* Agnes* date 1883 place Lanark, Airdrie.  Sometimes Agnes is spelt Agness, or you can leave Agnes's surname out altogether, and just search for Agnes*

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eejayess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 January 05 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried all possible spellings and variations using "wildcards" but to no avail.
I have even been in touch with "Scotlands People" and they can't find the record of marriage either, so I have really hit a brick wall, unless I can find out what RC churches are in Airdrie area in 1883, the only other assumption is that they never married, but why keep putting the same date on their children's birth records.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 January 05 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Find a church at http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/ns/ns76.html may assist.

Another option is to make enquiries at St Andrews Cathedral in Clyde Street Glasgow ... although reception is sometimes mixed  :-X

Offline Rose224

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 06 13:03 GMT (UK) »
ee:  I am also researching "Fadzen/McFadzen/McFadzean and other variations.  I searched Rootschat and hit your post.  Any additional update/information you would share with me would be appreciated.  It is not that common of a name and I am temporarily stuck in 1822!

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I have McFadzeans, sometimes McFadden, in Ayrshire - would you be interested in details (not many) of these.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline Rose224

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 06 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I definitely would be interested.  How best to get that information? 

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 06 18:29 GMT (UK) »
This is what I have

1841 Census - Helebaigh, Coylton
David McFADZEAN aged 60 (Ag.lab)
Margret wife 55
Margret daughter  15  David son  5
(This seems a bit strange, but perhaps Margret was not as old as she thought she was).
There is a birth registered to David McFADZEN and Margaret Dickie (Margaret) at Coylton, 26 August 1822 which is probably this couple.

1841 - Drumdow Colliery, Stair
David McFADZEN aged 32
Agnes  40
Mary  12
Hugh 10
David  8
Ann  1
(This is from FREEcen and no relationships are given.   However, I have seen the original of the first family on the census in Ayr Library)
The second family could be David McFadzen and Agnes Baird who married in Coylton 1 June 1827.

IGI Batch numbers C115832, C115834 and C115831 (various spellings of McFadzean) give quite a few details of McFadzen/McFadzean births in Coylton.  Marriages are the same numbers but with an M in front.

My ggxgrandmother was Margaret McFadzen, (abt. 1797) sometimes McFadzean, who married Peter McCormick in Coylton in 1822.   Her parents (as per death cert.) are James McFadzen and Janet Paton.    She had a sister Janet born 18 May 1781, Coylton.   The first David on this list may have been their brother, or possibly an Uncle.  Have not investigated much more on this family.
Hope it gives you some sort of lead.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)