Author Topic: Blackabey, St Sepulchre Northampton??  (Read 5116 times)

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blackabey, St Sepulchre Northampton??
« on: Tuesday 19 February 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anyone.
I wonder if anyone can help me get started on my 3x Grt grndfather. The IGI doesnt seem to "do" northampton, and I am at a loss on where to start. 
Thomas Blackabey on census in Herts/Beds (Red Lion, Markyate) was, it seems, born c 1802 in St Sepulchre Parish, Nothampton. It is a common name in Beds/Herts, but rarer in Northants (or am I wrong??). So poss not originally from here?
Has any one come across a Blackabey family in Northants? or suggestions for finding them??
 THANK-YOU !
 Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline tombraider2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Blackabey, St Sepulchre Northampton??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 March 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
hi sally
my 4x grt grandmother was sarah blackaby,baptised 1806 at castle hill independant chapel,northampton. her parents were george and mary [nee norton] blackerby married 6 december 1782 at st.peters northampton,they were both of the parish of st.peters. sarah had a brother,thomas baptised 1803 at castle hill chapel,other siblings were martha,bap.1789, mary,bap.1792, lydia,bap.1796,another mary,bap. 1799 [possibly the first mary died?] all were baptised at castle hill chapel. the chapel was in the parish of st.peter,just on the fringe of northampton town centre and only a short walk away from st.sepulchre,also very close to the town centre. i havn't done much research into this family
so far but no sign of any of sarah's sisters or brother thomas on any census for northants, of course the girls probably would have married and changed names. so possibly this thomas could be yours, what do you think?
NORTHANTS -hiams, garrood, bland, smith, richardson, stanion/stanyon, roddis, brown,eales,gibbons, harris, muddiman, longworth, wyatt, rogers, wilcox, inwood, blakeman, blackerby, gardner, wells
BUCKS - hiams/hyams
SUFFOLK - garrood
STAFFS and IRELAND - connor
LEICS - sharp
BEDS - bland, harris
ESSEX -faint
MIDDLESEX - inwood, travers, miller
HERTS - faint, harvey, pamphilon
HAMPSHIRE - suett, vine
W.YORKS - summers

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 13:22 GMT (UK) »
HELLO Tom (?),
Fantastic to hear from you.
Yes, I think-and hope- this is "my" Thomas. Since I posted the above I found this family on IGI--and believe it may be right as Thomas on 1851 census for Markyate seems to have put St Sep as parish of birth. They spell "Blackabey"-but this seems variable. We may be cousins.
My 2x grt grandfather was this Thomas's eldest son, William Daniel Blackabey-they are prooving to be rather a difficult and interesting family, I seem to have bigamy and stuff which I am struggling to untwine.!!
Would love to hear if you have any more details on any of them--
Thank-you for replying
Sally.
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline tombraider2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 18:32 GMT (UK) »
hi sally'
it's not tom, it's linda, it certainly seems a strong possibility that we have the same family given that there is no trace of thomas living in northampton as an adult but iv'e no idea how to prove it 100% but i expect that goes for a lot of lines of descent. as i said i havn't done much on the blackaby line [other varient spellings are blackabbey and blackabee and blackby] one other thing of interest is lorenzo. let me explain- 4x grt granma, sarah blackaby married william longworth 21 oct 1822 at northampton all saints, i descend through their eldest son, john, they had 6 other children and the youngest was named lorenzo, a bit unusual in early 19th century northampton i thought, then i came across the name again in chapel hill baptisms when looking for sarah's baptism. a lorenzo was baptised 3 june 1823,son of george and elizabeth. too much of a coincedence not to be related to my tree so i figured that either georges wife mary had died and he later married elizabeth or george and mary had a son george whose baptism is elsewhere and he was the one who married elizabeth. i did find a marriage of george to elizabeth spencer 25 june 1815 at hardingstone northants,presumably elizabeth's home parish. the entry dosn't say if george was a bachelor or a widower so no help there. but i'm convinced that lorenzo was either sarah's half brother or her nephew,why else give her son the name,it's not something you just pull out of thin air is it? yet another little mystery to try and solve. your lot sound quite interesting too, bigamy and stuff- great but not so easy for us to try and sort out. well i think i've told you all i know so far, i'm hoping to get to the r.o. sometime in the summer break and maybe do a bit more delving into the blackabys, maybe have some news for you then,in the meantime if you have any ideas or find something out please let me know.
it's great to have made contact with you.
best wishes, linda
NORTHANTS -hiams, garrood, bland, smith, richardson, stanion/stanyon, roddis, brown,eales,gibbons, harris, muddiman, longworth, wyatt, rogers, wilcox, inwood, blakeman, blackerby, gardner, wells
BUCKS - hiams/hyams
SUFFOLK - garrood
LEICS - sharp
BEDS - bland, harris
ESSEX -faint
HAMPSHIRE - suett, vine
W.YORKS - summers

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
LORENZO
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Sorry for delay in responding--my broadband has been down for days.
Would love to keep in touch and will send you a PM with my email.
LORENZO---I also came across Lorenzo Blackabey and wondered why the name...I have been looking at the IGI and BMD etc and Lorenzo seems to have had a bit of a fashionable blip in Northants-- I wonder if there was a religiuos reason???or was someone famous being referenced-
Any one else come across the name in families not connected to Italy etc???
Sally
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 March 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there would have been any religious reason associated with the Castle Hill Chapel unless it was somehow related to Phillip Dooderidge's death in Lisbon.

http://www.puritansermons.com/banner/ella2.htm

It was a Independent (later Congregational) chapel which was later renamed Dodderidge Castle Hill in rememberance of its famous minister who was a leading light in the early Congregational movement.  I believe that it is now closed down having merged with the more modern Dodderidge Memorial Church.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tombraider2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »
hi sally, got your PM ,thanks ,i'll email you later so you have mine, thanks for the imput on lorenzo, david,it might well have something to do with the ministers death in portugal, dodderidge memorial is still going strong, i've been to one or two services myself,best wishes,linda
BUCKS - hiams/hyams
SUFFOLK - garrood
LEICS - sharp
BEDS - bland, harris
ESSEX -faint
HAMPSHIRE - suett, vine
W.YORKS - summers