Author Topic: Fenstanton  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fenstanton
« on: Tuesday 19 February 08 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have a Evelyn Young who is a male married to Amy living in High Street Fenstanton in 1901 census.  He is a clergyman in the Church of England.  He was born in Yorkshire. 
Any information about this family is welcome.  I know about his parents etc.
Thanks for your help
Hera

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Fenstanton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I notice he was only 34 in 1901 and as you appear to have his family etc - are you looking for info post-1901? 

If so - could you clarify exactly what you already have and info you are still looking for
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the post.
I am looking for his wife and any descendants they might have.  I am looking for post 1901.  Anything at all on his own family.  I have information on his parents but not Evelyn after he left his parents house.  I don't know when he left.  I would also like to know when he died.
Thanks
Hera 

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 06:16 GMT (UK) »
You need to check the GRO indexes for his marriage. This can be done online at http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl.

It was in 1900 in St Ives registration district, in which Fenstanton is situated.

It's difficult to trace any children with a common name like Young, particularly as you don't know how long they stayed in Fenstantion. You can check the GRO birth index for Young births in St Ives registration district, there are two that look promising in 1901 and 1907. But you have to buy them to find out if they are children of Evelyn and Amy. And FreeBMD births are complete only up to about 1912.

Fenstanton has a good website at http://www.ti0.com/fenstanton/

Looking at the Kelly's 1918 directory link on the site it appears that the Rev Young was no longer there in 1914.

In the genealogy section on the site you can register to get the master index of BMD entries, which is probably what you need.

In 1891 he was living at Back St, Harlow Essex,  Evelyn Young, lodger single 24 Mathematical master of St Mary's college and curate of St Johns, born S. Milford Yorks, so he'd obviously left home by then

There are transcripts of marriages in various Cambs parishes on Ancestry.com which were done by the Rev Evelyn Young, but unfortunately there's no further detail as to when they were extracted or for which parish he was rector.

Googling "Rev Evelyn Young" will help you in putting together his movements after 1901 - eg he was vicar of Toft Cambs 1914-21 and another hit gives his death as 1936. Genealogists have a lot to thank him for as it appears as though he transcribed most of the marriages in Cambs, which were used as the basis of the Cambs entries in Boyds marriage Index

The only death in 1936 which fits is that of Evelyn Young age 69 in Bingham registration district in the June quarter 1936 vol 7b page 500. You need to order the certificate from the GRO, cost £7, to get more details

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,
Wow!  Thanks for all this information.  This is more than I hoped to find.  This will be very helpful to put together the bigger picture.
Thanks again,
Hera

PS. It seems you can google just about anything.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 08:25 GMT (UK) »
In 1881 he was a 14-yr-old boarder at Trent College, Longeaton, Derbyshire (you may already have this).

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Mothers maiden names were only included alongside the GRO entries from the September quarter of 1911

His marriage in 1900 was to Amy Norgate so to find the births of any children from the September quarter of 1911 onwards you would be looking at Young with a mothers maiden name of Norgate. 

By 1911 Amy would have been in her early 40's so you may not find very many (if any)

if you want a copy of his marriage cert the reference is as follows

June quarter 1900 St Ives Volume 3B Page 645
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Carole
Thanks so much.
Iwill order the certificate.
have a good day,
Hera