Author Topic: Whyte/White families of Dysart/Kirkcaldy/Wemyss  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Langtonian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whyte/White families of Dysart/Kirkcaldy/Wemyss
« on: Wednesday 20 February 08 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Would be interested in exchanging information with anyone researching Whyte (Whyt/White/Whit/Quhyte/Quhyt etc) families of Dysart/Kirkcaldy/Wemyss, particularly pre 1720.

My main interest is in the parish of Dysart families, many of the men seem to have been shoemakers (cordiners). Would be interested in any information which connects the Whyte families of this era in Dysart with those in the parishes of Abbotshall/Kirkcaldy/Wemyss.

Thanks,

Offline dene

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Whyte/White families of Dysart/Kirkcaldy/Wemyss
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
IN MY FAMILY I HAVE
ELIZABETH HERD CROMBIE WEMYSS b. 11 OCT 1872 IN WEMYSS
MARRIED :  GEORGE WHYTE  1893 
IN ST ANDREWS & ST LEONARDS FIFE SCOTLAND..
SHE WAS MY GRANDFATHERS SISTER. 

Offline Langtonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
Dene

Welcome to the Fife Board, you'll find those who post to be an extremely friendly and helpful bunch!

I'm afraid I don't see any immediate connection with our Whyte families at this stage.

Do you know any more of George's ancestry at all?

Regards,

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 23:26 BST (UK) »

Hello Dene & Langtonian,

I read your postings with great interest, especially as you are talking about the Kirkcaldy, Dysart and Wemyss area. As you would know from my postings, the Leslie, Auchterderran, Kinglassie, Abbotshall, Kirkcaldy, Dysart, Largo and Wemyss areas is a happy hunting ground for me. It was in that area that I was born and spent my early childhood.

Many of my ancestors had connections to the Whyte family but, I've simply not got to the point where I have written about them on RootsChat. I will be doing my usual look through my records, and will be delighted to assist as much as I can.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 23:39 BST (UK) »

Hello again, Dene & Langtonian,

Shortly after posting my response to your request for assistance, I realised that I could have given you just a wee bit of information from my personal records. (Put it down to old age! ::)

When I looked at my writings about the Burt family, I suddenly remembered that John BURT, who was christened about 1653 at Torrykirk, in Dunfermline, went on to marry AGNES ANNAS WHYTE in June 1682. Agnes died, and John remarried into the SIMPSON family.

That little snippet of information may assist you in your research, or you may wish to wait until I do my full postings.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 August 08 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hello
I don't have any connection to Whytes but I too have a shoemaker from Dysart in my tree. Also linen weavers and tailors. Was there a shoe factory/linen mill there or were people doing it at home on a small scale?

Thanks,

Siobhán
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE
Glasgow/Ayr:  TAYLOR, GILLESPIE, CAMERON, LANG, DUNLOP, WILTON, MACKAY
Edinburgh: NAPLES
Fife: EASTON, TAYLOR
Co. Carlow/ Kilkenny (IRL) GAHAN
Co. Cork (IRL) COTTER, O'KEEFFE

Offline PaulaJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 19 00:58 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother is Elizabeth Herd Crombie Wemyss - married to George Whyte in St. Andrews.
Looking for a good site that would have pictures - Ancestry.com has minimal pictures.
From reading your posts, it seems we are all related!
:-)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I had a look at your thread and the interest you have in the White families so I had a look thru' some info: I have silted away and came up with, Quhyt, 7 families,  Whyt  7 families and White families 3 in Dysart alone, all purely in the 1600's.  To strip all down is a large task as there are as many, and more 'White' families in Wemyss, Abbotshall, and Kirkcaldy of the same dates.

I now understand the need for you to join-up with some other genealogist to lighten the load.  Sorry I can't be of help as I do have some White families in my files but nothing of interest: although I do know there was a well healed family lived in Kirkcaldy and loafed around in a luxurious pile many moons ago.  In fact I do believe the house to be still in one piece in the town centre.

I'll see if I can come up with anything on this particular White family to interest you.  In the meantime I hope you come thru' in finding an easier solution in finding the Family you require.  All the best............................................Ron.