Author Topic: Why did people move to Hull in 1840s?  (Read 7165 times)

Offline early_morning

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did people move to Hull in 1840s?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 December 22 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I live in the United States but I've traced my Irish ancestors to Kingston on Hull.  In the 1851 census I see my great-grandmother, Mary Burke as a 6-year old living with her father John Burk, and her mother Attry Burke.  The residence says Robinsons (followed by a word I can't make out - looks like Eastry or something like that).  John was a "Hawker" (salesman or solicitor I guess).  It's clear that John came from Ireland shortly after the great Potato famine to find work and he was involved with the Cotton manufacturing - of which company I do not know.  The area they lived in is called Sculcoates, which I assume is a housing area for the cotton industry workers.  In the 1861 census the family is now on Wincolmlee living.  Mary is a cotton Reeler at 16 years of age.  The story I'm trying to piece together is how Mary met my great grandfather William Humphrey.  William was living in Great Broughton, further north in county York and in 1862, he and Mary Burke get married.  John Burke is a witness on the marriage certificate.  William was the son of a shoemaker (which I understand was a well-respected trade at the time).  I get that Hull was a busy hub for industry and such but how does a "cotton reeler" meet a shoemaker?  Yes the trains provide transportation and young people want to socialize but did they meet in Hull or was there a reason to be up in Great Broughton.  Their marriage is performed in Kirby in Cleveland, north yorkshire.  Any speculation on how an Irish family is up in Northern Yorkshire at this time?  I guess the cotton industry was starting to wane a bit - or maybe it's that change people search for when you discover the cotton industry labor is so dull and dead-end that you'll try anything else.  I would be interested in any input you guys have.  It seems that you have a good perspective of the history of the area there. 

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 December 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
The residence says Robinsons (followed by a word I can't make out - looks like Eastry or something like that).

It's most likely "Robinsons Entry"

Occupation HAWKER - a travelling salesman

Probable place of work  "Hull Flax & Cotton Mill Company, Lime street, Hull"

PS Welcome to Rootschat

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 December 22 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Two things happened in the early to mid 1800s that affected the wealth of the town and district.

All around the coast of the UK there were villages that relied on fishing to feed themselves. A superior trawler was designed in Brixham and was copied around the land.  This trawler was larger than usual and could travel farther afield to catch fish.

The arrival of the trains meant that these large hauls of fish could be transported to new inland markets very quickly.   As more and more money circulated in the district, other traders moved in to share in the prosperity.  Heavy engineering companies moved their factories to Hull to take advantage of a huge European export market.

Local Directories show that many countries had a consulate, or agent, or representative in the town.   The directories also show that agriculture, alongside fishing and engineering, was still important  amongst the list of trades and names are "cow keepers" in the town

My own Wisbech born grandfather arrived in Hull with his brothers in the early 1900s for "seasonal dock work".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 December 22 01:07 GMT (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"