Author Topic: Scotswood Road  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotswood Road
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 February 08 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Nadine,

So when your 3xg/f married,  did he call his second dtr Sarah.. i.e. after his mother ? ( and perhaps his first dtr called after his wife's mother ? )

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 February 08 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Sort of.  Jonathan and Mary Ann married May 1836.  The first child I was able to find (courtesy of another kind soul on here who looked up some Whitehaven records for me) is Sarah, born 1838.  I don't know which part of the year because most unusually for that time she wasn't baptised until 1840, just before she died (Q1).  So there may have been scope for them to have had a child before her between may 1836 and 1838.  If they did, it doesn't appear to have survived.
The next child born was Arthur in 1839 - there's no father listed for Jonathans birth so I don't know where this name came from, Then we've got Ann born 1841 possible the third daughter (Ann is the mothers middle name though).  Next comes Robert my GGgrandfather in 1842 - that's a place for me to start looking for the Gribbins I guess as this would have been mary's father if they followed the naming pattern.  After Robert, we've got John in 1844 - again, a version of his fathers name.  Then we get to the convention of using siblings names, which I've no idea if they're tight or not as I've not been abler to track the families down.  They also had a 4th daughter which they named Mary (the mothers name) and I assume that teh first John didn't survive beacsue apart from his baptism record in 1844 he doesn't appear on any other records.  Jonathan and Mary went on to name another child John in 1860.

When I get to the next level down, births around 1870 on, they start to stray from the naming traditions. There are also other names that have crept in, I assume becasue of clashes with the pattern and they've used other family members names.

Anyway, by doing this it's got me thinking a bit more about the Gribbins side, and also that there must be a connection to an Arthur somewhere on the Richardson side becasue it is a name carried along throughout the family, the question is Arthur who???!!!  The same with George, so I shall commence digging again!!

Thanks again

Nadine

Durham/Newcastle: Richardson, Glendenning, Glendening, Glendinning, Postle, Carr, Tatters
Norfolk/Suffolk: Love, Sharman
Somerset/Glamorgan, Wales: Brooks, Elliott, Smith
Cumberland: Richardson, Gribbin, Butler, Tatters
Shropshire/Welshpool: Thomas, Bradshaw, Summers, Weatherby, Phillips
Scotland: Baxter, Service, McMaster

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 February 08 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Nadine,

A final note on ENP ( I am beginning to bore myself.. LOL)

Their First Dtr should have been named after Mary Ann's mother. Their Second Dtr should have been called SARAH, after Jonathon's mother.

MD
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.