Author Topic: Heritage Library/ genealogy centre  (Read 3145 times)

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Heritage Library/ genealogy centre
« on: Wednesday 20 February 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone provide a link for the heritage library / genealogy centre in Derry? Is it possible to do your own research there or must it be commissioned, and what sources of information do they hold?
I am hoping for a visit to Derry in the spring to try to get a wee bit further with my Derry roots, and would like to plan ahead.

any help appreciated. thanks
Gill
Anderson in Ireland - Renfrewshire
Skene / Skean/ Skeen in Midlothian
Dow in Stirling, midlothian, Renfrewshire
McIlmoil / McIlmoyle in Antrim, Renfrewshire
McGaffigan / McGavigan, McNulty, Murphy Kennedy Hogg and Gamble in Londonderry
Paterson / Patterson, Eaglesham / Eaglesome in Ayrshire
MacPherson , MacLeod, Gillies in Sleat, Invernesshire
Cornfoot, Hogg, Grubb, Ramsay, Auchterlonie in Fife
Neilson, OHara, Baillie in Paisley

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Heritage Library/ genealogy centre
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Derry Genealogical Centre recently closed and although it might re-open I haven't heard this happening yet. It was discussed here earlier:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,276737.0.html

P.S. when it was open you could not search the records yourself but had to order information/commission research which was quite expensive.

Any idea what you might be looking for? as the information you want might be available other places.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
thanks OTTO and aghadowey.
I had half hoped to be able to visit the genealogy centre to do my own research, with the hope that they would hold parish records,  B/M/D indexes, and census data.
I havent been able to find the information I am looking for online, and there does not appear to be anyone researching my family.

My 2xgreat grandparents were John McGaffigan (b. circa 1856, son of John) and Annie McNulty (b. circa 1856, dau of Hugh)
John and Annie were married 15 Apr 1877 at St. Eugene Catholic Cathedral, Londonderry. At time of marraige, he was resident at Fahan Street,  and she was resident at Orchard Row, both were of 'full age.' John's occupation was porter.
On 15 Jan 1883, my great grandfather, James McGaffigan,  was born at 27 Orchard Row, Londonderry.
They also had a son Thomas, born around 1886 (married Catherine Hamilton 1915)

My great grandfather James, married Elizabeth Murphy on 27 Dec 1909 at St. Eugene Catholic Cathedral.
James was a cobbler / bootmaker, and he lived at 40 Ferguson Street, from at least 1913 until he died on 20 May 1959. His wife outlived him by 3 years, at which time she still lived at 40 Ferguson Street, Londonderry.
James and Elizabeth had 3 children, Thomas born 1910, James born 1911, and Annie born 1913. Baby james died in infancy, Annie married, but to my knowledge she had no children, and died around 2000.

Thomas was my grandfather who married Elizabeth McCormack, on 05 Aug 1929, at St. Columba's Catholic Cathedral. They had 3 children Samuel James (Jim), Kathleen and Mary (Marion). Sadly Elizabeth died from TB in 1938. (Thanks to maryderry for locating the grave for me, after literally a lifetime of family searching). After Elizabeths death the children went to live with their grandparents in Ferguson Street.
My grandfather then came to Scotland and married my grandmother, and went on to have another 6 children.

so that is my McGavigan / McGaffigan story so far....

From the irishgenealogy site I have found a few possible children for John and Annie McGaffigan, and would have liked to search to verify if they were indeed connected. These include Patrick, Hugh, Daniel, and Thomas. I would also have liked to have found out when John and Annie died and where they were buried, and where they were on census returns. On Emerald Ancestors site I have been unable to find those births.

So i suppose I will have to order the certificate information for those births from the family ulster website, and see how it goes from there.

The surname has been transcribed as McGaffigan / M'gavaghan / McGaffiken and seems to have settled on McGavigan......the real red herring was McGuire!

But I live in hope that someday, someone, somewhere will read this and make  a connection ::)

regards Gill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Gill- any chance the family were buried in Derry City Cemetery? they have fantastic records (name + age of deceased, Christian names of both parents, place of birth, residence, religion). Not sure about access to information from there now as it was a number of years ago that I visited the cemetery office and got details of relatives buried there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Aghadowey,
I know that my great grandparents, James McGaffigan and Elizabeth Murphy are buried in the City Cemetry, along with their son James who died in infancy, as I have the "title deeds" for the plot, along with their death certs.

After years of searching for my grandfathers first wifes grave, maryderry, located that grave at Ardmore cemetry/graveyard.

However, I do not know when my 2xgreatgrandparents, John McGaffigan, and Annie McNulty died. I havent a clue at all, as I have had not been able to search the 1901 census to see if they are alive then, nor the 1911, even to narrow down the search a wee bit. Would I not need to know some sort of timescale for their deaths, for the city cemetry staff to be able to check their burial records ? I had previously phoned the city cemetry to check for my grandfathers first wifes grave, and found them to be really helpful, although they had no record of burial for her.

I am further hindered by the various ways of spelling the surname, which also includes McGeoghegan, i forgot to put that in my original post.
regards Gill