Author Topic: Hill, Mitchell, 2 x Brown, Holbrook, Griffin, Hollingsworth, Holbrook Xd CURRENT  (Read 769 times)

Offline DTW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surnames: Hill, Mitchell, 2 x Brown, Holbrook, Griffin, Hollingsworth, Holbrook and Ratray are connected to the Chattaway and Wedge families. (And Driscoll, Harbottle, Bedford & Elstab).

Anyone else doing research into these names? Be great to hear from any cousins.

They are mainly from the Goodmans Fields, Aldgate, Shadwell & Wapping (St. Georges in the East, London/Middlesex, UK) areas with some from Spitalfields and St. Luke.

CHAT*WAY various spellings, ours is usually CHATTAWAY. Via Alexander b1819/21, James b1848 and then Thomas Benjamin b1872 (who married Mary Ann Hill b1874). Alexander with 3 ‘wives’ is a hard man to pin down. He married Mary Ann Elstab in 1848 but his son (also b1848) James’ mother was Mary Ann Green! There’s also his son, Alexander (b1846) by Sarah Green! All Alexander’s children are shown in Alexander’s households, so as far as we can tell, he looked after them. None of the ‘wives’ can be found for sure except possibly Elstab after 1848. Other people have got stuck at Alexander and his 'wives', his father James b1781-91 was born in St. Georges and had 9 other children so there must be plenty of Chattaways about.

HILL via James Snr (a Waterman) b1811. His son James b1852 married Frances Mitchell, also b1852, daughter of William Mitchell a Plasterer b1821 St Pancras. Their daughter Mary Ann Hill b1874 was my Nanny Chat. Nothing known about the Hills and Mitchells.

BROWN 1 via Mary Brown b C1848 daughter of James a Waterman. She only married James Chattaway b1848 in 1890 after they'd been together from about 1870. Nothing known about her.

BROWN 2 via Robert Brown b 1836? St Georges in the East, Middlesex, son of Thomas and my g grandfather. Robert married Emily GRIFFIN b11/12/1851, daughter of Edward & Jane Griffin (nee BEDFORD). Robert & Emily’s daughter Mary Jane married John Henry Wedge in 1894. Last contact with the Griffins and Browns (in Becontree, Essex)was about 25 years ago via my Aunt Alice (Wedge). Aunt Flo (Florence Griffin b1891, d1993) had a son in Japan. I've got Robert Brown and Emily (GRIFFIN) firmly identified back to 1881 (Medland St.) but in spite of extensive searching they can't be found in 1871; working forwards from the 1841C is inconclusive too. I'm trying to get in touch with the Becontree & Essex Griffins and Browns but no luck yet. Can you help please?

WEDGE. My links are firm back to the 1851 census showing Samuel (b1816 christening) and Martha (Groves) b1823 living at 20 Berner St. In the 1841C they are listed as 'Swage', living in Back Church Lane. Their 1939 marriage cert. show his probable origins as St. Luke and father's name WILLIAM , a Sawyer, probably living in Montague St. Whitechapel St. Mary. Anyone with any more info. on Martha (father's name William Groves) and her daughter-in-law Ann HOLBROOK, daughter of Thomas, a Wireworker from Shropshire & Jeanette (RATRAY) born Spitalfields? She married John Henry Wedge senior on 25 December 1869. Please see separate posting 'Holbrooks of Lewisham' for speculation about Thomas from Shropshire.

HOLLINGSWORTH via Connie Hollingsworth who married Mary Ann (Didi) Chattaway in 1923 leading to, Connie, Eddie and Frances by 1937, then Mary born about 1940. Lost touch about 35 years ago.
Chattaway, Hill, Mitchell, 2 x Brown, Holbrook, Griffin & Wedge from St Georges in the East and Spitalfields, Middlesex.