Author Topic: Hall Alexander son of Robert and Isabella  (Read 2744 times)

Offline alfraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hall Alexander son of Robert and Isabella
« on: Thursday 21 February 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping to find more information on my ancestor Alexander Hall and his parents Robert and Isabella.

Alexander was born in 1846. He later moves to Glasgow by 1868 where he marries in the church of scotland. On his marriage certificate his parents are given as Robert (profession listed as Farmer) and Isabella (maiden name Irvine). Later Scotland census returns give Alexanders birthplace unhelpfully as Ireland.

I believe his parents did not move over to Scotland as I can find no trace of them in any census returns.

From a search of ulster wills I'm taking a decent guess they are from Tyrone (only a few Isabella Halls listed and the dates work and also the valuations have plenty of Irvines listed).

Any ideas on where I might be able to track down Alexanders birth or his parents marriage?

Many thanks

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hall Alexander son of Robert and Isabella
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Not everyone had a Will so don't assume that the records you found are or the people you are looking for without more evidence.
Since civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 you would have to check for church records (if the still exist) but to do so you nee to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 October 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to find more information on my ancestor Alexander Hall and his parents Robert and Isabella.

Alexander was born in 1846. He later moves to Glasgow by 1868 where he marries in the church of scotland. On his marriage certificate his parents are given as Robert (profession listed as Farmer) and Isabella (maiden name Irvine). Later Scotland census returns give Alexanders birthplace unhelpfully as Ireland.

I believe his parents did not move over to Scotland as I can find no trace of them in any census returns.

From a search of ulster wills I'm taking a decent guess they are from Tyrone (only a few Isabella Halls listed and the dates work and also the valuations have plenty of Irvines listed).

Any ideas on where I might be able to track down Alexanders birth or his parents marriage?

Many thanks

Try Monaghan, it is part of Ulster, I have more Halls than you could shake a stick at!! I have Roberts, Isabellas, Isaballas, Alexander, but no Robert and Isobellas with son Alex (yet!). Will keep an eye out as I still have 2 truckloads of Halls to look up ::) ::) ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline alfraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose you've come accross any links to the name Hunter amongst the Halls have you? The reason I ask is that Alexander had one daughter who was given the name Hunter as a middle name. It's likely it comes from the girls Mothers side but I can't confirm this and therefore it could be related to the family from Ireland. Drawing a horrible blank on all of this, oh for a less common surname to research!!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
Yes I've come across it but it may just have been on postings looking for them.  I do have Hunters but definitely not connected to Halls, which is why I remember the name!

I have about 800 Hall records but no Hall/Hunter!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you've come accross any links to the name Hunter amongst the Halls have you? The reason I ask is that Alexander had one daughter who was given the name Hunter as a middle name. It's likely it comes from the girls Mothers side but I can't confirm this and therefore it could be related to the family from Ireland. Drawing a horrible blank on all of this, oh for a less common surname to research!!!

Now have Hunter/Hall connection.... Where is your Alexander from?