Author Topic: Anyone have the MIs for Holywood and Kirkmahoe?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anyone have the MIs for Holywood and Kirkmahoe?
« on: Friday 22 February 08 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone has.

I desperately need to check up on possible deaths for a John Burgess - possibly b.c. 1737. married Agnes Watret, Nov 1765 in Holywood. Lived Holm(e), Holywood.

Also, Agnes Watret(above) b. 1732 or 1735 in Kirkmahoe

I don't need marriage or birth info.  I just need to find their deaths.

Thanks

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have the MIs for Holywood and Kirkmahoe?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 08 19:02 GMT (UK) »
If you struggle. I can always have a wander round Kirkton church yard  (think its the only church in Kirkmahoe)  for you as I'm there next weekend....

I presume the DGFHS will be able to help....

As for Holywood, have a look in here...

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/%7Edfsgal/Holywood/mi-data/All-MIs.htm

Didn't have mine on there when I looked :(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 08 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sparkle  :)

Last time the D&G FHS looked at Holywood, they didn't find anything for Agnes Watret - I didn't ask for John because I am certain he's buried elsewhere  but I'm trying to rule them in or out of my tree and the only way is finding something of their deaths.

There are no lair books going back that far and I've checked some of the Session minutes but not for those two parishes. i didn't have time when I was in Edinburgh.

My thoughts at the moment are that Agnes died and John married again over in Kells, where I have all the info.

If you do have time to have a wander around the grave yard, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I always walk past the graveyard anyway so its no bother going for a look while I'm there... just prey for good weather so we get a chance to go for a walk  ;)

I know for sure that theres Watrets in there, just hope its one of yours!!

Tracey

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 08 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tracey  :-*

Kirkmahoe seems to have been full of Watrets once. I read somewhere that it might have been Hugenot  :)

Gadget

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 08 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't have considered Watrets to be Hugenot, but thinking about it, it does sound a bit French!

I'm not sure about now, as the village has changed (haven't they all) but when I was wee there were still two Watret families living in Kirkton.

Although I lived in Kirkmahoe, my family was generally from the other side of the Nith, hence I perked up when you mentioned Holywood. I had some family in Kells too (Harleys)!

Anyway I will see if I can find anything at Kirkton church. Looking forward to it as the last time I nosed around the gravestones was when I went to Sunday School!!

Tracey