Author Topic: "Household Management"  (Read 1884 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
"Household Management"
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Just been flicking through an old cookery/household management book .....don't know how old but would guess it's shortly after WW1 (one of the entries is a suggestion of how to make use of old army puttees!)

Here's a copy that made me chuckle/grimace.....

CHARCOAL, Value of :
Meat that has to be kept for a day or two before being cooked will remain fresh if sprinkled with charcoal. A piece of charcoal placed in the saucepan in which cabbage is boiled will prevent a disagreeable smell arising whilst cooking.  (Ummm....lovely!)

MEDICINE CHEST, Handy, To make :
Take the top off an old Grandfather clock and remove all the works. Put neat little shelves inside and place in a convenient place in your bedroom.

CHILBLAINS, To cure :
Bathe the affected part in water in which celery has been boiled.

FRECKLES, To remove :
Apply at night a mixture of equal parts of strained lemon juice, glycerine, olive oil and curdled milk. 

WHITLOW, To cure :
Cut a lemon in half, put your finger in the lemon. Then bandage both together with a soft bandage. Donot leave the lemon on the finger longer than 10 to 12 hours. At the end of that time take that piece of lemon off and put on another piece for a further 10 to 12 hours. This will remove all pain and at the end of 24 hours you will see a hole in your finger, the lemon having removed the whitlow.

The good old days.......................................

tabitha  ;D
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Household Management"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
If you are interested in buying an old cookery book Archive CD books have reprinted "The Complete Art of Cookery 1843" £15  you can see it here
http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/acatalog/printedbooks.htm

Lots of interesting recipes sheeps brains and calf foot jelly for example  :P

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Household Management"
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 05 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Ummm.....tasty!!!

Thanks Steve, I agree  :P :P :P x millions!

tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).