Author Topic: Hogg's from Eskdalemuir  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hogg's from Eskdalemuir
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors came from Eskdalemuir 1780@ onwards  does anyone have any information or connections
Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg's from Eskdalemuir
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 05 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Just as a long shot it might be worth investigating any histories of the poet and novelist  James Hogg in adjacent Ettrick. He was born Ettrickhall in 1770 and died 1835. Noted works The Brownie of Bodesbeck in 1818, Confessions of a Justified Sinner, 1824. I don't know of biographies offhand but Dictionary of National Biography might be a start. 
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 13:08 GMT (UK) »
My father says that we are supposed to be related to James Hogg  but so far I have been unable to connect the two families.  Thanks.
Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Try contacting Dumfries & Galloway Libraries (email address has DUMGAL in it; should be accessible on the internet).  They can make things seem a little complicated at times (different services in different buildings) and may expect a search payment but should come up with information. You need to look at the Monumental Inscriptions from the cemeteries for Eskdalemuir and a sub-part: Watcarrick, in the south.  If you don't mind paying for the credits you can search births, marriages and deaths on the Scotlandspeople website, but pre-1855 you have to order register extracts by post. But the search will come up with names and dates.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright