Author Topic: Fordyce churchyard  (Read 4935 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Fordyce churchyard
« on: Friday 22 February 08 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a book of memorial inscriptions for Fordyce Churchyard? I'm looking for James Taylor (died 1916) in Cullen and wife, Mary (née Simpson), who died 1917 in Aberdeen. Also looking for any other Taylors or Simpsons who may be buried there. :)

Thank you,
hume24

Re-posting from separate thread. :)

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fordyce churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Hume24

I have a copy of Crammond's 1886 Memorial Inscriptions in the Fordyce Churchyard - which is obviously too early for the deaths you were asking about.  However, as a sign of there being little else to do when brought up in Fordyce, I have a full set of my own transcrtiptions of the Fordyce Churchyard and New Cemetery (current to about 1999/2000). 

James Taylor and Mary Simpson are indeed in the Old Churchyard.  And their inscription (no 31 - my number) is:

Erected in memory of Alexander Taylor, son of James and Mary Taylor who died 6 June 1893 aged 28 years, and Helen who died 4 September 1869 aged 1 month. Also their grandchildren: Jane who died 19 July 1889 aged 3 weeks; Elsie who died 10 January 1892 aged 5 years.  Also in memory of our father and mother James Taylor who died at Lintmill, Cullen, on 27 February 1916 aged 77 years and his wife Mary Simpson who died at Aberdeen on 21 February 1917 aged 79 years.

I know the stone well. Its a polished grey granite rounded top stone, about 5-6 feet high and stands between two overgrown yew trees/bushes next to the manse orchard wall at the back of the cemetery.  I may have a photograph of it somewhere.

There 9 other Simpsons, and 6 other Taylor names on inscriptions in the Old Churchyard - which I can let you have if you want them.

Regards

Alan

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Oh, that is so fantastic. I'm glad to hear the stone is still intact ... I did worry it would have been damaged by this time. Would love a photo if you have one.

Can I also ask for a list of the other Simpsons and Taylors? Having trouble getting back further with both families so this may help!

Thank you again, :)
hume24

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to acknowledge your "behind the scenes" work for me, Alan. I now have a wonderful photo of my 3x great-grandparents' gravestone. :)

Thanks again Alan,
hume24

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 December 08 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hume24

I have an ancestry sheet for some Taylors submitted by someone in Troon.  It lists James Taylor as being born 1840 in Inveravon to James Taylor and Helen Stuart; married to Mary Simpson June 23, 1860 Fordyce.  Mary Simpson born May 12 1836 Fordyce to Alexander Simpson and Margaret Smith. 

Here are the children from the OPR:

Mary chr 29 Apr 1862
Alexander chr 25 June 1864
William chr 21 Jan 1867
Helen chr 24 Aug 1869
Jane chr 9 Apr 1871
Ann b 15 May 1876

Hope this helps...Lynne
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 December 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info., Lynne. Sent you a PM. :)

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi AlanZed

I saw your notice re Fordyce churchyard and I know this is a longshot but do you have an entry for Joseph Addison, died 1877, and Janet Addison, died 1888.  They lived at Summerton so I assume they would be buried at Fordyce.

Ziggie

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 June 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I think I posted this in the wrong place - it should be a new enquiry.

Ziggie

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't worry, Ziggie. I'm sure Alan will be able to assist if he gets an e-mail alert on this thread.

His profile shows he was last online on the 2nd March.

hume :)