Author Topic: Help to Trace John Baillie & decipher wife's maiden name  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Help to Trace John Baillie & decipher wife's maiden name
« on: Saturday 23 February 08 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I have been unable to trace the birth of Grizel Baillie born c1819 who married Abraham Walker on 4 January 1846 in Lanark.
 Her death Certificate shows the parents as :-
John Bailey - Game Keeper - deceased
Grace ? - deceased
I am assuming her father was dead at the time of the 1841 Census at Hyndford Bridge, Lanark as she is shown with her mother:-
Grizel Mattewison? - 55
Grizel Baillie - 20

I have used many a credit on Scotlands People trying all variants of Baillie & Mathison & using wildcards without success both for the birth & the marriage of the parents

Can anyone help, please?
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to Trace John Baillie & decipher wife's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 08 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Mathieson

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
What religion were the family ?

The Old Parish records available at Scotlands people are only those surviving records of the established Church of Scotland.

For a period of over 100 years the Church in Scotland was extremely fractious and all of these groups formed their own churches and kept their own records. Some of these records are kept at the NAS in Edinburgh as are some RC records but they are not yet available online.

The other problem is that pre civil registration having a child christened/baptised was not compulsory and while the minister would give back sliders a fairly torrid time, record keeping was not always of the standards that we would like.

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Falkyrn

I only know that Grace (Grizel) Baillie married into a Church of Scotland Family ie the Walkers & that OPR enrtries exist for the Walkers in Lanark & Lesmahagow as far back as 1792.  After Grace married Abraham Walker there are OPR entries for births & marriages up until registration in 1855.  I cannot find any births or marriages even under wide searches such as B*l* & M*t*n.  There have been Baillie & Mathison familes in the area for a long time but unfortunately none of them tie up with mine

Also it would appear that Grizel who married John Baillie died before 1851 & therefore I have been unable to trace a death certificate for her.

I've also looked at the burial records for Lanark without success but I'll keep up the search
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 February 08 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Search done on the IGI - no luck for her birth or of children born to John Bailey and Grace.  As Falkryn states and Scotlands People website clearly points out - up to 30% of births are not on their site for various reasons.  One of those 'stops' in family history.
The IGI has and 'extracted' record of Grace Bailie marrying  Abraham Walker on 04 Jan 1846 in Lanark

Children from this marriage according to the IGI:
Grizzel Walker ch. 02 Jul 1848, Lanark
William Walker  ch. 10 Dec 1848, lanark
Grace Walker 12 Oct 1851 Lanark

(There is only one Grizel Baillie recorded on the IGI in that timeframe but she's not yours - f.  George Baillie and m. Mary Pringle.  She was born 04 Apr 1822 in Jerviswood, Lanark - 'submitted' record).

On the IGI from 1805 to 1825 only one record of a 'Grace Mathweson' marrying - and she's not yours.  (The good thing about the IGI is that it automatically searches for variants of names).

Good luck with your searching - Regards,   Steve

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Piglet01

Once Grace married into the Walker family,all records are easy to trace & the website Walkers in Scotland was helpful:-
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~hockeyv/walker.htm

I've also contacted the Carmichael Estates who owned the land to see if they have any record of John Baillie as a gamekeeper but was told that the estate papers are not catalogued

Offline cherylai9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Surname looks like Matheson or Mathieson to me.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 13:36 BST (UK) »
The Baillie's of Jerviswood were lairds in that neck of the woods, related I think to Baillie of Polkemmet. Was this a Lady Chatterley scenario, running off with Mellors I wonder?
If she is off these Baillie's there will be a ready-made pedigree back to the dim & distant, very prominent family.

Skoosh.

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 August 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
Who knows - anything is possible!!! 

A couple of years ago I phoned Carmichael Estates who own the property in that area to ask if I could look at their archives to see what what they had for John Baillie but was told that they weren't archived or available to the public. :'(

It's a long time this I looked at this but I thought that John Baillie's wife may have been Grizel Mathison daughter of James Mathison & Janet Robison born at Braecroft on 24 Feb 1792 in the parish of Troqueer.

You've renewed my interest in the Baillies & Matthewisons (all variants included) & at least they have some immortality as I always think about them when I drive over Hyndford Bridge!!!

Binkie