Author Topic: Country Houses and Estates in Wexford  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Country Houses and Estates in Wexford
« on: Saturday 23 February 08 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Dunbrody House, a 1830s Georgian manor set in 200 acres, which was the former ancestral home of the family of the Marquess of Donegall and Chichesters who lived there until the start of World War II when they returned to England rather than risk being interned in Ireland. The late Lord Desmond Chichester used to play cricket with a Co. Wexford team called Na Shuler (Gaelic for Wanderers).

Woodbrook was built in the 1770s by the Jacob family and later  was reconstructed by the Blacker family, who remained there till the 1980s. Mrs Blacker was in the property when Samuel Lewis published his Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
Re: Country Houses and Estates in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 08 10:36 GMT (UK) »
It will not be much use online here but there is a comprehensive publication - Houses of Wexford by Scallan & Rowe isbn 0-946538-46-8
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Country Houses and Estates in Wexford
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 March 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Nick,

As a local historian, do you know anything about the Rowson/Rowsom family, late of Ballintore, parish of Kilbride, but previously at Forties, Monamolin, Ballyart and Glascarrig in North Wexford ? I can trace my GGGGgrandfather, Samuel Rowsom, back to about 1750 and related members of the family back to about 1698. I have been relying mainly on BMD records and land deeds until now. Are there any other resources you could suggest ?

Many thanks and kind regards,

skill
Rowsom, Larkin in Wexford
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork