Author Topic: Charles and Sarah Wright Gt Stukeley 1871  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charles and Sarah Wright Gt Stukeley 1871
« on: Saturday 23 February 08 16:48 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 this couple were living in Gt Stukeley with their children

RG10 1527
Charles Wright Head age 29 born Brampton, Hunts
Sarah  wife age 27 born Brampton
Charles H age 3 born Islington Middx
Charlotte M A age 1 born Brampton, Hunts
Azilpah Fairey Visitor age 9 born Ellington

Charlotte's birth registration is Sept Q 1869 Huntingdon
Charles H's is probably June Q 1867 Islington

The birth of the parents is not quite so clear.  Charles snr could have been the one registered in St Ives June Q 1841, though St Ives does not include Brampton in its reg district.

I have been unable to find a suitable marriage for a Charles Wright and Sarah ? in Hunts, and suspect they may have married in London/Islington, but can't find one there that fits the bill either. ***see next message

In addition, I cannot find the family in 1881 with either Charles or Sarah as head.  Maybe there's a mis-transcription/spelling that I haven't worked out yet.

I know where Azylpah/Zylpah/Zilpah/Zilfer (the last on her birth cert) was in 1881 - a servant in a London household.  What I would like to know is what her relationship to the Wrights was which might explain her status as a young visitor to their household.  Her family was living in Huntingdon in 1881.

Any additional information on this family would be much appreciated. :)

Gillg

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles and Sarah Wright Gt Stukeley 1871
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Didn't go back far enough before :-[, but have now found 3 possible marriages!

Sept Q 1863 Charles Wright m Sarah Hill reg Huntingdon
March Q 1864 Charles Wright m Sarah Hobbs or Sarah Ellen Smith reg Huntingdon

Brampton is in Huntingdon reg district.

Now which of these might it be.......?

G

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill

The surest way to find out is to buy Charlotte Mary A's birth cert in Sept 1869

Who were Zilpah's parents?

I can't see the Wrights in subsequent censuses either

Regards

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I guess you're right, David.  I'm wondering if they emigrated.  Zilpah certainly did - to Australia, where she married, had 2 children and died in 1899 along with her newborn son. She was born 1/6/1861 in Ellington, daughter of William Fairey and Ann Judge.  William was the son of my gt gt grandfather's older brother, James.  (Zilpah's youngest brother is known to Kiwi Marlene and me as "Dennis the Menace"  for his youthful criminal activities - you may remember him from previous correspondence, David, others may like to Google "Dennis Fairey" and see his picture - butter wouldn't melt in his mouth ;D.)  The interesting thing about Zilpah, and the reason I originally sent for her birth certificate, is that she never appears on a census return with her parents.  They and Dennis were in Crawley's Yard, Huntingdon in 1881, while she was in Streatham, and her other siblings had flown the nest.

Best regards,

Gill