Author Topic: Collins in Limerick?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline sgt.colon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alan Ward
    • View Profile
Collins in Limerick?
« on: Saturday 23 February 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for help please in finding any information about my maternal great grandmother, Julia (Josaphine, posibly Josaphina) Collins.
She was born in Limerick in about 1848-1850, and emigrated to New Zealand where she wed John Smith in 1875. The wedding was held in a Presbyterian Church.
Apart from the "intention to marry" certificate and my grandfather's birth certificate, I have no other information about her other than a family letter writen to my grandmother from a nephew in 1944 which states:
"......Grand-dad could have made big money in the early days as some of the parts of Dunedin went for a few shillings an acre. His people lived in Hamilton, Scotland; but I have not been able to find out much about them as Grand-dad was reticent in many respects. He was 93 when he died. His wife died about 11 years before he did. She was a fine little Irish woman, being a Collins from Limerick. Her father, my great-grandfather, was quite well-known there and I have seen the old copy of the Limerick paper containing his obituary notice. One of my grandmother's sisters was Mother Superior of a convent in Australia."

I think there may be some conflict between he Presbyterian wedding and the possible sister being a mother superior of a convent., but I don't know.
The obituary would seem intriguing as this would open up he family tree further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alan
Smith, New Zealand. Ward, Cambrdgeshire, UK