Author Topic: schools, graves, etc north of Pettigo- completed  (Read 2629 times)

Offline jdoliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
schools, graves, etc north of Pettigo- completed
« on: Saturday 23 February 08 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking over the 1905 Ordnance Survey (published in 1907) of Tullynaloob (a small townland north of Pettigo where my  Oliver ancestors lived) and surroundings. Does anyone have any knowledge of Derrynashesk School?  It appears to have been the closest to Tullynaloob at that time.  I suspect children were educated at home, if at all, in the mid-1800's, but I'm always looking for new possible sources for info about my ancestors.

Also, I see on the map several listings of "Giants Grave".  Know anything about those?

Finally, the largest town around Tullynaloob, without going to Pettigo, seems to be in the townland of Montiaghroe, about 2 1/2 miles east of Tullynaloob.  It had Drumkinny School, a RC chapel and graveyard, a Methodist Mission Rom, the Drumkinny post office, and both standing stones and a stone circle.  Any readers know about this area?  I'd love to know more about the areas where my ancestors came from! 
Thanks. Jim

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: schools, graves, etc north of Pettigo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 08 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

The librarians at Enniskillen Library might be able to assist.

www.ni-libraries.net/libraries/welb/enniskillen-library

Christopher

Offline JStewart

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: schools, graves, etc north of Pettigo
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
My parents grew up in the area and both went to "Dernasesk" school http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/663120 but i see that was built in 1909.
Drumkinny or Drumskinny is very close by.
If there is anything in particular you want to know i can see if my parents can throw any more light on it.

Jon