Author Topic: John Shiells b. 1795 Westruther  (Read 20971 times)

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Shiells b. 1795 Westruther
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 March 08 13:13 GMT (UK) »
M.I.'s Lauder.

Here lies Thomas Shiels tenant in Elsimuir who died 19/2/1772 aged 53 years 

Also in memory of Andrew Shiels tenant in Glengelt who died 30/12/1820 aged 59 years also his spouse Betty Clewch (sic) who died 9/12/1817 aged 56 years

Also in memory of their son Andrew tenant in Headshaw who died 5/4/1835 aged 48 years.

""Looks interesting"".......Seems to be a headstone....Dates match up on Andrew the son and the variation of Bettys name Cleugh/Clewch...

""Name Thomas""...Appears could be Andrews father based on birth date but playing the naming game....Andrew and Betty didnt appear to name a child Thomas....

1. Andrew b. c. 1787 who married Jean Rankin, farmed at Headshaw, near Lauder and had a large family of 7 sons and 4 daughters.(Andrew Himself or fathers name)
2. Margaret b. Lauder 11 Feb. 1789(Bettys Mother)
3. Betty b. Lauder 6 June 1791(Bettys name or Andrews mother)
4. John b. Wetsruther 12 Jan. 1794 who married Mary Nisbet(Bettys Father)
5. James b. Westruther 7 March 1802 who married Margaret Wight, and had a large family of 3 sons and 6 daughters(????)
Schiells/Shiells/Shiels/Shields
Berwickshire/Lothian/Edinburgh/
NewCastle/Northumberland/Crichton
Nute/Nisbet/Magoffin/Phillips

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 March 08 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Found these on the 1841 census Westruther.

Hyndside Hill.
James Shiels  35  Farmer    Uknown.
Margaret        35                 Bew
Margaret        12                 Bew.
Elizabeth        10                 Bew.
George            8                  Bew.
Mary                6                  Bew.
Beatrix            2                  Bew.

Westruther.
John Shiels      53  Ag.Lab.    Bew.
Helen               34                 Bew.
John                13                 Bew.
Walter             8                   Bew.
Robert             6                   Bew.
Adam               2                   Bew.

None in the 1851 Westruther.

These in Ancrum 1851 which match the last lot.

Rawflat.
John Shiell  H  M  64  Farmer  1300 acres. employ 5 lab.  Berwick,Eccles.
Helen          W      45                                                         Rox,  Rox,
John            S        23  Farmers son                           Berwick,Westruther.
Walter         S        18       "          "                                "             ".
Robert         S        16        "        "                                 "             ".
Adam           S        12       "        "                                  "               ".
Margaret     D         8    Scholar                                     "            ".
Euphemia    D         6       "                                            "               ".

Hope you can make use of them.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 08 01:48 GMT (UK) »
shrunklink.com/anil

Not bad the Names match for Andrew and Andrew

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 March 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Are these of any use/

M.I.'s Lauder.
Here lies Thomas Shiels tenant in Elsimuir who died 19/2/1772 aged 53 years  also in memory of Andrew Shiels tenant in Glengelt who died 30/12/1820 aged 59 years also his spouse Betty Clewch (sic) who died 9/12/1817 aged 56 years also in memory of their son Andrew tenant in Headshaw who died 5/4/1835 aged 48 years.

Interesting..........

I wonder if this is a family gravesite...A single stone.....I seem to think Ive seen this tombstone before on the net.......

But anyways.....

I thought Ive read that Andrew b1787 and his Brother John b1794 had a problem with paying each other with farm goods from Myles sold in Newcastle..Because of this John(MyJohn) lost the farm........1858 or so....Maybe it cold have been his brother James...But I swear it was Andrew.........John had a son Andrew that headed up the farm around 1856.....So I know that Andrew....

Thanks

J

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 May 08 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are these of any use/

M.I.'s Lauder.
Here lies Thomas Shiels tenant in Elsimuir who died 19/2/1772 aged 53 years  also in memory of Andrew Shiels tenant in Glengelt who died 30/12/1820 aged 59 years also his spouse Betty Clewch (sic) who died 9/12/1817 aged 56 years also in memory of their son Andrew tenant in Headshaw who died 5/4/1835 aged 48 years.

Interesting....I received an email with another set of names today...Yippee....The above quote could make Thomas b.1719 d. 1772 the brother or Uncle of Andrew b.?1725 father of Andrew b. 1761 d. 1820....

Here it goes..My guesses..

Thomas Shiels tenant in Elsimuir who died 19/2/1772 aged 53 years 

His brother

Andrew Shiels b. (? a guess 1725)
married
Betty Purves b. 1725 in Melrose father John and Agnes Knox...Not sure if same Betty Purves...Name and date matched up though...

Children

Agnes b. 1754
Andrew b.1761 - d.1820

other children names not found yet..

Andrew Shiels b.1761 d. 1820
married
Betty Cleugh/Clewch b. 1761 d. 1817...

I believe Andrew tenanted the farm Herniecleugh in Channelkirk 1798-1820 Im guessin...He previously farmed Glengelt and Headshaw.....In the early 1800s I think his son John below took over..Internet link says a son of Andrew took over....That didnt work out so well in Herniecleugh...Interesting is Andrews marriage to Betty Cleugh...Herniecleugh has thought to actually be named after Henry Cleugh......   

children

Andrew b.1787 d. 1835...This should be the Andrew in the quote above..This is the Andrew I believe I read that didnt pay brother John for goods sold in 1851-1856..It could also be the brother James that was involved with this..Not sure...

John Shiels b.1795 d. 1878
Married
Mary Nisbet b. 1789 d. 1836

Thanks all this is where Im at with serching and figured Id post incase others are looking for rooooooottttttssss...

Thanks

Jason Shields
Rochester,New York

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 July 08 07:20 BST (UK) »
Jason,
Although I have no known relationship to Andrew and James SHIEL, just the connection to my RUNCIMAN family, I thought I'd give an update, and thank whoever posted the MIs that allowed me to update Andrew and Betty (CLEUGH)'s dates on that page, seeing as you quoted my web pages above.

http://familytree.lornahen.com/p41638.htm is the most up to date info I have for James, son of Andrew and Betty.
The 1841 census above at Hyndsidehill is James and Margaret (WIGHT) with their family at that date, and for once the ages look about right, unlike for some of them in later census records.
Andrew SHIEL and Elizabeth CLEUGH's marriage appears on the IGI as an extracted record in Melrose, which could go some way to explain how come James and Margaret seem to have moved to Melrose before the 1851 census (Colmslie Hill).
The IGI also has the baptisms of two daughters, Margaret and Betty, both Lauder, and both extracted records, to Andrew and Betty (CLEUGH) SHIEL(L).

I can add that James and Margaret (WIGHT) SHIEL's dtr Mary married a James JOHNSTON, and was farming at Norton, Par. of Lauder, 1861.

I do have a Robert SHIEL on my direct line, which is partly why I was interested in the James who was connected to my RUNCIMAN family, and WIGHT is one of my major lines, but not this lot.

Good luck
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

Offline Katy1918

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 August 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello  jason

I have just found this site and your enquiries about J ohn Shiells. I am one of the Shiells family and the name John Shiells continues to this day.My brother is John Shiells as is his eldest son and as were my father ,grandfather and great grandfather. i have details from 1871 when they were farming at Black Callerton Northumberland. If you would like details just let me know.
     Katy1918

I

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 August 09 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Katy,

I am also much more distantly related to your Shiells family and would very much like your family details on the Shiells of Black Callerton to update my family history files.

Many thanks.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline Katy1918

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 August 09 21:15 BST (UK) »
Craig

I am descended from the John Shiells who was born in Scotlland and was farming in Black Callerton in 1871. Could you be a bit more specific about what details you would like .
   Katy 1918