Author Topic: Presteigne - Simmonds family Completed  (Read 3452 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Presteigne - Simmonds family Completed
« on: Sunday 24 February 08 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any records of a family with the surname SIMMONDs in the Presteigne area in the 1880s/1900s please - very vague I know but having to start somewhere!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Presteigne - Simmonds family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 08 13:00 GMT (UK) »
i am not positive but is'nt presteigne in radnorshire,wales
/
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 08 18:50 GMT (UK) »
It is right on the welsh border and seems to move between herefordshire and radnorshire depending on the decade!!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 07:21 GMT (UK) »

Presteigne is in Radnorshire, now part of Powys.

The Welsh Border runs right against the town edge, one side of the bridge is Wales, the other in England. There is confusion with Copy Certificates, as originally there was a single Registration District for the area, Hereford and Radnor, so always worth looking in both Radnorshire and Herefordshire for Parishes in this area.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I live 10 miles from presteigne in herefordshire and have found it listed in both England and wales! Makes the search more challenging!!

Caroline

Offline sallylesley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 July 08 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I clicked on to Hereford, and read this posting, but my geography of this are is not very good so I am hoping this might be a link to the Simmonds family I am searching.

I know my grand mother was born in somewhere in Hereford, and resided at some time in Symons Yat until she married my grandfather and, moved to Aberdare and then immigrated to Canada, where she died at the young age of thirty seven giving birth to her eleventh child (giving these detail in case there is a connection and maybe you might have family history on her)

Her fathers name I believe was William Simmonds and he mothers name was Mary Green. 

After her death the family returned to Wales and I remember visiting Hereford to an aunt Lizzie probably Elizabeth, and an aunt Polly These could have been sisters or nieces to my grandmother.
She also had a sister Harriet.

I know this is very little information but I have been searching my tree on genesunited for four years with very little outcome on the Simmonds family, but did pick up on two relatives on an off chance with this information.

I apologise if this info is of no use but now I am clutching at straws to continue my family tree.

Good luck with your search,   sallylesley

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 July 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out entries for Symonds - pronounced Simmons in this area ?