Author Topic: Birth registration and/or Census - Ellen Agnes Bownes  (Read 4889 times)

Offline mom4teachr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth registration and/or Census - Ellen Agnes Bownes
« on: Monday 25 February 08 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ellen Agnes BOWNES (b. 1900 Ireland) married to Walter C. LUCIER (b. 1899 Vermont, USA). I have transcribed notes from her death certificate that says her father was Patrick BOWNES and her mother was Maria ADAMS both of Ireland. It says the information was given by her husband. She died 6 November 1946 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA.

On Footnote.com I found the index card for Ellen Agnes LUCIER's naturalization. It lists her date of birth as 3 October 1900. On footnote.com I also found listed in the index for naturalization paper a Mary Kate BOWNES and a Margaret Theresa BOWNES with one for of the witnesses for both of the naturalization being Walter C. Lucier so I suspect that they may be sisters to my Ellen. Ellen named 2 of her daughters Mary and Margaret. I have not actually looked at those pages because it is a subscription site and I don't have the money to do so currently.

The 1930 US Census for Boston, Massachusetts lists Ellen with husband Walter with the 3 oldest children of 9. It lists her as being from Irish Free State. It says she immigrated to the US in 1916.

From conversation with my ex-mother-in-law, she said her mother-in-law (Ellen) came from Roscommon, Ireland which is why I am posting in this forum.

I just did a quick search for Patrick Bownes in the 1901 Ireland Census from a link I found on this forum (http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml) and found the following-
Townland:  Tully
Parish:  Tibohine
Barony:  Frenchpark
County:  Roscommon
Description: Household
Head of household Surname: Bowens
Head of household Given: Patrick(40)
Head of household Occupation:   labourer
Other occupants:  Maria(31)-Bridget(65) mother-Mary Kate(6)-Maggie(4)-Ellen(2)-Annie(2mo.) 

Strongly suspect this is right family. Is there more information that would be given in the actual census, or is this everything? And where do I go next with this information?

I do not have her marriage certificate, the actual naturalization papers, her birth certificate or know the ship name or exact date of immigration. I hope I have given enough information to maybe get some pointers on where to look next, or maybe if I am really lucky someone will read this who has information on this family. And hopefully if I have posted this query in the correct format and in the correct forum, if not please let me know in a gentle manner so next time I can do better.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
UK and Irish surnames that I am researching-Newman, Simmons, Antrim, Bownes, and Riordan - all came to America at some point

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth registration and/or Census - Ellen Agnes Bownes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 March 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Your posting looks lonely without any replies so here’s two penneth worth as a start. Ellen’s grandparents may be Pat and Bridget Adams living in Carrowbehy on the 1901 census. Their grandaughter Mary Kate Bones age 6 is listed with them (similarly, my uncle was given twice on the 1911 census, both with his parents and his grandmother).

The Catholic Parish is Loughglynn, there is a townland map on this link
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/loughglynn.html Tully and Carrowbehy are in the southwest of the map.

The actual 1901 census gives little more in addition except county of birth and religion, the LDS microfilm number is 850479. The 1911 census which should be online this year additionally asked number of children born and children still alive.

You might want to request a copy certificate from the Civil Registration Office in Roscommon town for the birth of Eleanor Agnes Bowens in 1899. It would confirm her place of birth and mother's maiden name. The (photocopy) cost would be 6 euros (approx. 9 US$).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't find Ellen but found the other girls:

25 Sept.1912 "Franconia" arrived Boston, Mass. from Queenstown, Ireland
Mary K. Bownes age 16 servant
father Patk Bownes Carrowbehy Ballyhauris Co. Mayo
to Aunt Margaret Adams (she pd passage) 406 Mass. Ave Boston
5' 4" tall, fair complexion, fair hair, blue eyes

7 May 1914 "Franconia" arrived Boston from Queenstown, Ireland
Margaret Bownes age 16
father Patk Bownes Tully, Ballyhauris
to aunt Margaret Reddington 90 _ St. Providence, Rhode Island (she pd passage)
5'4" tall, fair complexion, brown hair, blue eyes

12 Nov.1922 "Samaria" arrived Boston from Liverpool, England
Annie Bownes age 21 domestic
father Patrick Bownes  Tully, Carrowbehy, Castlerea
to sister Miss Mary K. Bownes 105 Holland Rd. Brookline, Mass. (she pd passage)
5'4" tall, dark complexion, brown hair, blue eyes
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mom4teachr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I found "Ellie" Bownes' passenger list information. She arrived on 8 October 1916 on the SS St Louis from Liverpool at Ellis Island. She was traveling to her sister Mary K. Bownes in Brookline, Massachusetts, her father was Pat Bownes. YEAH! more and more information. Thank you all.
UK and Irish surnames that I am researching-Newman, Simmons, Antrim, Bownes, and Riordan - all came to America at some point