Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93684 times)

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 06 April 08 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi tiggi, One of my sisters has got lots of photographs that use to belong to my Grandmother Esther Ann, my Mother took them all from my Grandmother's house when she went to live in a old peoples home just before she died. Then my Mother was moving so she gave them to my sister for safe keeping. My sister asked me to have a look at them as I am the eldest to see if I recognized anyone but I didn't recognize anyone, I said all of these photos must go back years. Paul.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 06 April 08 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
well that sounds wonderful  Paul if you want too you could post them on romanygenes, it might jog someone's memory and help you find out who they are if you wish too, Sue is very lovely lady and I can assure too they will not be able to reprint from her site they would always belong to you, but that has to be your choice, if you do decide to put them on internet please be careful lots of sites you can copy them off and then they become public property it depends how you feel about sharing them  only wish i could say its my family but lol not to be I am thrilled for you its makes all the difference to see the faces
Best wishes sandy
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 06 April 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi tiggi, If I put them on the web my Aunty would sue me for ever penny  have. I wouldn't dream of putting them on the net until my Mother, Aunts and Uncle have died because they know who they all are, but won't tell any of us, that is why my sister won't give them back to my Mother. As far as my sister's concerned they've kept us in the dark long enough. Paul.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 06 April 08 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul Oh that is so sad I really feel for you, I do understand completely about not wanting to upset your family members , but then you and your sister don;t sound like you both have not been treated fairly either.
well you know what they say hun you can chose your friends but not your family.
I only hope you can get names sorted before its too late to know maybe you will find a way hope so
best regards sandy

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trinny

• RootsChat Extra
  • G.Grandma & Uncle Henry
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 21 April 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathayb.
So how to define "one of us"?
The only side of my family I've really ever known (or known about) & am right proud of, is the travelling side (my mum's). Ok, Grandma became a house dweller & set the new standard, but thankfully circumstances have forced me into the process of 'selling up', so I've put a deposit down on a tad nice trailer & look forward to moving in ASAP.
Grandma would get right upperty if anyone called her a Gypsy, although was proud of her roots & we remained a close knit family. She came from circus & showman stock, so why not Gypsy?
I wonder if it was simply because the term was used to be derisory. Any ideas on the matter please? ???
fairground & circus

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 21 April 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
the romanys would call you a posh rat meaning you are of mixed perantage.both gaujo and gypsy.nothing of course to be ashamed of.and you will be loved by the roms of course.another word is didikai but thats not considered so polite.alot of roms deny their heritage because i think of the derogortory remarks they get and bad press.enjoy your romany life in your new chalet.all the very best to you.love cathayb.i myself am jewish/rom but my husband is 100% rom.i wonder what they call me?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Trinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 21 April 08 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
But which side is the Gypsy side? The showmen seem to be such a big melting pot. Whilst my forefathers had rides they were also hawkers. I have wondered if it was the formation of the Showmans Guild or its forerunner (name forgotten), which generally had them distancing themselves. Can see the link with the circus (I think) re horses.
As for being a mongrel, tell me something new, I'm English through & through whatever that might be ;). My sisters and I all have Jewish names, Ruth, Rachel & Rebecca, AKA the three R's! Mum was an infant teacher, but the link was most likely accidental.   
Thanks too for your well wishes. Sad isn't it though (no pleasing some folks), I haven't moved into my trailer yet & already thinking if I might be able to build me something akin to the dwellings used by the Tinkers Bubble Project...... a choice of homes.... utter luxury!!!!!!!!!
fairground & circus

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 21 April 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
thing is there are many types of gypsies.all with their own distinct cultures.romany gypsies and irish gypsies(tinkers)are an ethnic group in this country.circus gypsies,barge gypsies and new age gypsies are not an ethnic group.obviously there has been intermarriage between the groups and with gaujos.all one big melting pot really.to live on a romany site as we do my husband had to prove by ancestry that he was rom but then they put gaujos and irish on here anyway.we dont mind,we love the human race in all its complexities.my husband and i love the freedom that our gypsy life gives us and would not be house dwellers for the world but each to his own.love cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Trinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 21 April 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Guess that's what I'd concluded, so good to hear someone else express it. I quite understand about not wanting to be house dwellers and am so looking forward to being freed from bricks & mortar. Have hankered it for eons. As you say each to his own. Big hug.
fairground & circus