Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93733 times)

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 24 April 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathayb - or any anyone else who can help!!!

I have Stevens in my family tree. Would love to know if there are any connections in the present romani community?? One branch of the family (mine) were very often described as 'gypsy tinkers' 'gyspy tinker's daughter' and had occupations such as knife grinder, hawker etc and travelled all over the south but the other side of the family were very much settled in Chedworth, Gloucestershire as agricultural labourers. But this is going back to the mid 1800s.

I know that in 1901 some of my ggg aunts (Evans) and uncles were living in tents in Wedmore, Somerset.

Thanks!
Bee

Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 28 April 08 20:05 BST (UK) »
yers,there were quite a few gypsies in wedmore somerset.a few of my family stopped there.there are a lot of stevans in the gypsy fraternity so you may well have gypsy connections.let us have a few more details.names and dates if poss and i will have a look in my records for you.love cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline tmm1975

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Hony Roma
I noticed that in your preferences you have mentioned the mundays.  I do not know whether my mundays were romany gypsy or not, but I have a feeling that this may have been the case due to the fact that along with many romany they came to australia in 1842 on the Simon Taylor.  My Munday line starts with Geoffrey Munday and Anne Nichael in about 1700 in Aston Rowan Oxforshire.  But the Couple to come to OZ were William Munday and Anne Mason.  Are we on the same page?
Tanya
Beacham-Sussex & WA, Harrold-Norfolk & WA, Jennings-Wiltshire & WA & SA, Henningsen-Denmark, Tas & WA, Metcalf-Suffolk & WA

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 12:04 BST (UK) »
ah found you tanya!!!i will look into that for you re the mundays.i am trying to get back to research and forget the other business if you know what i mean.good to see you on passing through aswell.try  romanygenes blank page aswell.sue day is brilliant at helping.cathayb

Offline tmm1975

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathay,  Glad to see that you found me.  Thank you and will also go on the Romany Genes Page.  Have been sussing out all the sites you have told me about this avo and yes have forgotten about that nasty woman.  Love Tanya
Beacham-Sussex & WA, Harrold-Norfolk & WA, Jennings-Wiltshire & WA & SA, Henningsen-Denmark, Tas & WA, Metcalf-Suffolk & WA

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 18:13 BST (UK) »
just noticed what you said about the mundays.i had not notced them before.i have nt any of them in my tree but i will have a look and see if i can find anything about them for you but honey roma will properly be your best help as they are in her family.love cathayb

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Heres some interesting names KEZEN HAPPUCH HUNTER, SHEBANIAH HUNTER, ZADEK HUNTER and Epaphroditus Hunter. All born in the 1760s in a place called Aberford about 10 miles outside Leeds.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
what lovely names.zadok is a biblical name and biblical names are popular amonst roms but i have never heard of the others.how interesting.your really going back in time with  your family now arent you.well done and so quick,it took me ages to get to grips with the 1700s!!!keep posting,very interesting.regards cathayb

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathayb, here's another one just found same family,  MAHERSHALALHASHBAZ Hunter. There Father was called William and there Mother was called KERENHAPUCH HUNTER. Paul.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria