Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93649 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 12:43 BST (UK) »
my word.what a mouthful!are they english born and bred do you think?are they members of your family?i wonder what happened when their mother called them for lunch!do you think she shortened it to baz and puch?we call one of our daughters puchy,but her real name is jennina.regards cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathayb, I don't know if there members of our family, it's just that there all born in the same area as my lot. My Mother always say's were all part of the Hunter Clan. My Aunty Helen Hunter she got married in 1946 on the marriage register it says Helen Ford Hunter my Grandad was a widower when he married my Grandma, and on one of my cousin's birth in the registry it say's her Mother's maiden name is Helen Ford Hunter. I was wondering if my Aunty was to Harry Hunter's first wife. Paul.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline Toni Hassett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 06 July 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
My Name is Toni Hassett and I have an interest in Mary Howard.
I suspect a gypsy connection in my our genetic heretige, I had an uncle Jim Howard.
What do you Know of Mary's ancestors/family?
How do i find out more?
 :) :)

Hi Nashua
Like most families there are lots of Branches,I have taken note of what you have posted,  and will have alook for them My own Bucklands came from  Oxfordshire, but also at times mentioned Bristol, if you know Bristol Gloucester Road was well known for Gypsies, I know my familty did go to USA and settled there some did return to UK , but then settled in Devon cornwall area.
Some names do pop out at me like Jenty ( this was Gentilla orginally the church would not recgonise it as a name for obvious reasons so it got changed can be spelt Jenty Genty or even Jennie)
Adolphus was another, I have had somesome contact me about a Nelson Buckland who came from Bristol think family still there today, it maybe relations to  your family, i know that someone again has mentioned 2 brothers Adolphus & John ( sounds like your names) that went into Fair rides.  Motte was also used by Williams family as name .
Its also possible your family came from a Plato Buckland known to travel and marry into Williams & Fletchers some of children's names you mentioned sound like them,  he was from Buckinghamshire area lots of Bucklands related to him.
Point of interest :
The families didn;t always live in Caravans usually only when they traveled most were senisble and bought property
which would be their winter homes and also an investment
also did you know that families often used alias some used parents grandparents surnames.

Stangely I do have a Census when my own family are traveling with a family : I would guess that Mary Howard was married to a Jones for her daughter to use the name:

1881 Census Tavistock Cornwall Caravans Petericks Ground

Mary Howard born 1824 aged 57 Head Tavistock ( fruit seller & coster)

Jane Jones/Dann born 1846 aged 35 daughter Tavistock

Emily Dann born 1868 aged 13 grand-daughter Tavistock

William Thomas Dann born 1871 aged 10 grand-son Tavistock

Jane Jones/Dann husband is actually in 1st foot Reg Devonshire at this time

I will look for you see what I can find I would also suggest 2 things try doing a Scavenger hunt on here ask about it to Tephra its a really good way of finding info
alos go look at romanygenes site its has lots of info there about many families and again you could post a message might bring you some luck
happy hunting Nashua and what a lovely name
sandy

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 06 July 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Got your post, I don't really know more than I have already  said regarding that Census and they were camped with members of my family, I do not know if they were kin ,maybe just camped together for safety ?

I will when I have time try and look up some-more about family, but if you want to do that your self you can try looking in later Census for family, i will try and do it soon ,but not this week as I have visitors
Hope I can find out something for you
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 02 August 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
I see several of you are interested in the name MUNDAY/MONDAY/MUNDY.

I have been looking for a while for the origins of Charlotte MUNDAY/MONDAY c1798, apparently "born in Avoncliff" (between Bradford on Avon, Wilts and Bath, Somerset) according to the 1851-71 censuses, but I haven't been able to find any record of her anywhere prior to her marriage in 1826 to Isaac GRAY c1805, stone miner, born Avoncliff, Wilts.

I know there were Munday/Mondays living in Westwood and Limpley Stoke, Wilts in the 1700s and in Freshford and elsewhere just over the Somerset border in the late 1700s and 1800s.

Have any of you ever come across Munday Romany families being in that area at that time - or any Charlotte (or Chalotte) Munday c1798, born somewhere that makes sense in this context?

If her family were moving around, that might be one explanation of why I can't find her!

(There is also some reference to West Lavington, Wilts in one record about her on LDS/IGI but I am almost certain that's one of LDS/IGI's mistakes.)

I'd be very grateful for any help - even if the answer's "no".   :)

Thanks!

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 09 August 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
just catching up with the Romany side of my family, buried for the last 3 generations, though my great grandfather is listed as a 'horse dealer assisting his father' on the 1911 census. I have recently discovered an identity and culture I never knew I belonged to, and am immensely proud of my fathers roots. I am a 'Gray' by decent, related to both Smiths and Elliotts. I believe in a world where culture, difference and identity are being erradicated, sucked up or just plain PC'd out of existence, we should hang on desparately to those things that make us different, and celebrate them. I hope one day my children will be as proud of their history as I am.
Debulah

Offline nosreap

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 15 August 09 16:28 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of Gypsies being at Durham Miners Big Meeting during 1880s.
My Great Grandfather met My Great Grandmother here and they were married Gypsy fashion by Jumping the Broom? I have no official marriage cert, so dont have her maiden name.  My Great Grandad was John Pearson and Great Grandmas name was Annie and she was born in Newcastle.

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pollynation, I know lots of gypsies in Leeds. I know the Smiths, Cunninghams, James, Lees, Buxtons, Lowthers, Dohertys and Dorans.
[/quotehi i am cunningham from leeds also know Hunters. would like to get in touch]

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
hi i am Cunningham from Leeds but have family in Hull.Also know Hunters would like to get in touch .