Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93654 times)

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #99 on: Monday 26 September 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
cathayb, I did not mean to infer that all Romanis are fortune tellers nor anything of the sort. Could you perhaps be a little over-sensitive about that?

In fact I think that side of me came not through my male-line Romani ancestors so much; more through my mother's side of the family, who were descended from French Hugenots according to my late maternal grandmother Connie, bless her soul. Certainly there were Hugenots in Mitcham and had been for centuries. She lived in Lavender Grove, built on the site of the former lavender farm there.

By the way, I am not a fortune-teller. I merely help people to understand themselves better, with a few guidelines and dates for the future and insights into past events. To save the obvious response, this is not an advert for my services, as I have always had more clients than I can cope with and am determinedly winding down after a long career.

My mother was very psychic but deeply scared of that ability and repressed it as best she could. I was not scared and developed it, which has enabled me to help thousands of people to understand themselves better. I also was a schoolteacher for a few years as a younger man, teaching physics. I am autistic, but not stupid. I see things most others apparently don't. Generally I have to keep very quiet about that in polite company; maybe it applies to this site too?

You ask about my paternal grandfather, the full-blood gypsy (Romani as far as the family can tell). My grandfather (George Henry Mayo) was the first on the male side of the family to be born in a house, in Mitcham. His father in turn had been born 'by the side of the road' to quote his birth certificate, as were all his forebears. I think the direct ancestor who lived in the White Hart Yard was called James Mayo, but I'd have to check that with my brother or sister, who are the natural archivists of the family.

I am the eldest son of the eldest son of the eldest son, going back and back.

I can see what Redroger meant by his suspicions now, as it is also radiating from your reply too cathayb, and I can understand. Please do not think that I meant any disrespect to the Romani community; I did not. I'm a third generation outsider now, looking into your private forum where you have rightly earned considerable ascendancy and respect. So I can just bugger off, and I will, with full apology.

Please appreciate that my posts on the site today were merely in the hope of drawing out more information about my ancestry than my family already knows.

My wife and I have been surrounded by a circle of Romanis occasionally visiting us from the etheric realms for several years now, helping us to stay safe from the many threats that people like us face - and healing us when we fall victim to the negativity of certain ignorant people's over-powerful Ego-driven minds. These kind and protective 'visitors' did tell us their family name, but I have forgotten it. It might have been Lee; I'll check to see if my wife remembers.

This 'camp-fire group' is the private reason I posted up. Perhaps my curiosity was idle; some things are not to be mentioned - yet here am I laying it out for anyone to see. In my opinion, the world is in such a parlous state that we human people are past the point where keeping secrets is the answer. 'Lay it out and let people choose for themselves' is my simple philosophy now. If that results in me being disrespected, wounded or shot out of the skies, too bad. I'm old and ready to join the ancestors any time. Meanwhile our circle of helpers is keeping us going.

I'll leave you in peace now. May you and your family be much loved and respected.
My regards and good wishes to all who read this,
Paul Mayo

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 26 September 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
in all honesty.Mayo is not a recognised romany surname.you fail to give us the name of your ancestor born on the side of the road which would give us the opportunity of researching your family for you.this is a research site for ancestors.nothing you have told me bodes with you being romany.as for your circle of romanies..I find that rubbish.let our ancestors rest in peace.your life here is what you make it not anything from the spirit world.eldest son of eldest son means nothing to us.i think you know nothing about the full blood romany and the things you are getting up to have nothing to do with us.we are workers.we kept this countries farms running for hundreds of years and fought and died in two world wars.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 26 September 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I get your drift cathayb - you don't have to send it with torpedoes and depth charges.

I'll take you up on your offer to research when I can find the name of my great-grandfather and his dates, which my family tree will show. I'm waiting for my brother to send all the details.

My grandfather, by the way, was a marine and fought in WWI. My father was a medical electronics engineer and helped design the iron lung and body-scanner. I was a throwback, mostly working on farms as a young man. Please don't be disrespectful, regardless of your opinion. You don't know everything about life and nor do I. Frankly, coming up against you has been like facing the thought-police. Some full-blood Romanis have said to me that Mayo is a recognised gypsy name; others say not. But at least they put it politely in each case.

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Redroger and cathayb, the reason I did not respond to your request to report some of the Romani words used by my family, as a test to see if my family had Romani roots, is that the whole of the Romani language has been in the public domain for 200 years, at least since George Borrow began to report his conversations with the Petulengros and other Roms.

As I have read all his books (such as 'Romany Rye') and also other Romani autobiographies that had many phrases and words in them, how am I supposed to remember what was genuinely from my hearing them in childhood and what I've merely read in these books?

In addition, many Rom words can be found on the internet, so I don't think that asking someone to say these words would be a very useful test of ancestry. So I'm sticking to plain English.

I'm three-quarters gaujo and one quarter gypsy of some kind - whether from genuinely Romani stock or just hawkers of some other kind remains to be seen - once cathayb has got my names and dates info and is able to do her research as she kindly offered.

I came onto this site in response to an out-of-the-blue private message from a Romani gentleman who hoped I could help him trace the links between his family and the Mayo's. However, he already knew more about that than I did. It seems the Mayo ancestors intermarried with a number of attested Romani families including his, also at least one fairground family.

I came onto the 'Are they gypsies?' blog to find out the facts, if possible. I have some full-blood Romani friends, so it would be interesting if it turned out we are distantly related, however far back.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Paul, everyone is welcome :)

You have found our section on Travelling folk and indeed have posted on a thread which many folk have wondered about  "are they gypsies".

Wishing you all the best with your research.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your welcome Sarah, which is most appreciated by me.

Also I need to let cathayb know that I have had another offer on this site to help track down my ancestors, which I decided to accept, which means I shall not need to trouble catheyb any further, much to her relief I'm sure.

Regards,
Paul

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Friday 30 September 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
From an older rootschat topic (Topic: Romany Names in The Midlands)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=491526.0
(this info was posted in the topic by rootschat member nelwild)

1871 census
George Mayo born 1835 Sussex hawker
Elizabeth born 1839 Surrey
William born 1860
Ellen born 1862
Henry born 1863
Frederick born 1866 all Brixton,Surrey.
Emily born 1871 Godalming
living in a caravan in Godalming,Surrey.

RG10 piece 815 folio17 page 28
with them James Deacon and family.

1881 census
George Mayo born 1831 general dealer
Emily born 1840 N/K
Ellen born 1862 N/K
Emily born 1870 N/K
Jane born 1873 Godalming
John born 1877 Godalming
James born 1878 Godalming
Alfred born 1881 Godalming
William born 1860 N/K  general dealer
Henry born 1863 N/K  general dealer
Frederick born 1865 N/K  general dealer
in caravans White Hay Yard,Godalming.

others there are Hammond and Hopkins.
class RG11 piece 780 folio 27 page 49

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 30 September 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Wow! That's amazing sallyyorks, that this info was there on this site all along. George is a common name in my more immediate ancestry too, as my father and grandfather both bore this as their first name.

I've also heard that James Deacon married Elizabeth Mayo. I wonder what nelwild's interest was? Does her family link into the Mayo's as well, do you know?

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 30 September 16 21:20 BST (UK) »
apologies for not knowing that Mayo was indeed a romany name.i hope you find the info you are looking for.i am sorry if I came over a bit short I just don't understand the spiritual side you were referring too.but if I can help trave a ancestor for you I am happy to help.hope you accept my apologies.cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country