Author Topic: 1834 Dalkeith census  (Read 3392 times)

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1834 Dalkeith census
« on: Monday 25 February 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Both the LDS and the Scottish Genealogy Society have mentioned this census, but neither website gives any details on it.
Does anybody know the scope of the census? What information it included? Or any other helpful information on this paticular census.

Thanks and regards
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1834 Dalkeith census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 08 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I found this when I "googled"

http://www.aigs.org.au/midlothianff1.htm

"The Australian Institute of Geneological Studies Inc.
Midlothian catalogue of Fiche, Film & CDs
Dalkeith Parish, Midlothian – Scottish Population Listing 1834   Insert CD 1129"

Also
http://www.vividsystems.co.uk/sgr2/publics.htm

"Scottish Population Listings prior to the 1841 census. The Parish of Dalkeith, Midlothian, 1811 and 1821 Censuses and the 1831 List of Communicants of the Established Church. Compiled by Bruce B Bishop. 84pp ISBN 0-9542161-4-5. £5.00"

"Scottish Population Listings prior to the 1841 census. The Parish of Dalkeith, Midlothian, the 1834 population list. Compiled by Bruce B Bishop. On CD, £7.50"

The Scottish Genealogy Society do have this on the online catalogue website

"Scottish population listings prior to 1841 census.
Midlothian - 1834 Census Index - Dalkeith
Price: £7.50"

but as you say, no further details.

The New Statistical Account of Scotland  indicates that several such census enumerations have been taken in Dalkeith over the years, but these may be purely statistical.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Dn0LAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA503&lpg=PA503&dq=dalkeith+census&source=web&ots=tDbh3HvOsQ&sig=8x_1lzOHP8b_yFMQpn6hU9H0ucw&hl=en#PPA504,M1

I had not heard about this before. I am intrigued by the lack of information about such a potentially useful resource.

I hope someone can answer this query :)

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 08 01:34 GMT (UK) »
 looks like you have to be able to go to the  AIGS library to view them
no good to us here in Scotland
however they do a research service but their prices are a bit steep
$16.50 an hour for members or $33.00 for non members
bit to pricey when you have quite a few names to search
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 08 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I had not heard about this before. I am intrigued by the lack of information about such a potentially useful resource.

I was thinking the same thing.

I actually almost purchased the Scottish Genealogy Society index, but I decided to wait till when I go to Edinburgh next month and simply consult it first-hand. So if by late April no one has shed any light as to what exactly this census is, then at least I should be able to break it down here on RootsChat.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi TunjiLees - did you ever get to view any of the Dalkeith pre 1855 population lists. Particularly interested in what if any criteria is being used to what ages against names?
All the best

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi hendog,

I have a copy of the 1834 census if you would like me to perform a look up.

It is a really great resource and a full census of all people in the parish of Dalkeith in 1834, listing the following fields;
ADDRESS / NAME / AGE / OCCUPATION / PLACE OF WORSHIP / SEATS / SCHOOL / SUNDAY SCHOOL / POOR

Cheers

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
A transcript is available now through FindMypast which I have access to. My interest is James Mathieson and his family at Wilsons Close - House Number 1116. James Mathieson, a Mason, Mrs Mathieson, his two younger daughters, Euphemia aged 16, and Violet aged 14. His two younger sons John aged 10 and William aged 7. There is a further member of the household listed, Alexander Mathieson, a labourer, but with no age given. This could potentially be James's oldest son, who would have been about 28, but could also be an elder brother or possibly his father. What I have been try to establish if there was any other information that might help. For example if there was any indication as to what the criteria was for including \ omitting ages?
I am in the process of trying to order "The Parish of Dalkeith, Midlothian, 1811 and 1821 censuses and the 1831 list of Communicants of the Established Church." from J & M Bishop which might have some extra clues.
Pre 1855 can be a bit like knitting with fog!
All the best

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
I had a search through the list, and the ages listed are all 21 and under, with one person I saw who was 22. So if no age is listed next to your James I assume he would have been over 21.

Not sure if helps directly, but here is part of an email I was sent by Bruce Bishop, the compiled of the index, as a reply to some questions I had about the census:

Dear Tunji

I am glad that you found the 1834 list useful, it took me many weeks to transcribe it. It makes it worth it when people find something of use.

The original is now available in the National Archives of Scotland, Princes Street, Edinburgh under the Reference CH2/84/46-47

There was no indication of the precise date during the year on which this was made, but in most parishes such lists were either made prior to the Easter Communion or the Autumn Communion Services. It would have been compiled by the Kirk Elders, to include the people of the area for which they had responsibility, so that they could identify those who should be attending Communion, in order that they could impose financial penalties on those who did not attend.

The Schools columns identify the school which children attended either during the Week, or the Sabbath Schools. The Benbo School was one of the Private Schools (as opposed to the Parochial School) which was operated by the schoolmistress Mrs Benbo. These schools would have taught vey basic reading and writing, a little arithmetic, and often knitting and sewing.

[...]

best wishes

Bruce B Bishop

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
That is very helpful. Being able to work on the basis that Alexander was over 21 at least removes the possibility that he was some random nephew, grandchild etc. My "working theory" is that he was Alexander, James's eldest son, born 2 September 1809 with the baptism recorded on 10 September 1809 in Dunbar, East Lothian whilst James was serving as a soldier with the Edinburgh militia. he is the only child of James that I so far not found any further information on.
Thank you for the response. Much appreciated. if there is anything I can do to return the favour at any time, please ask.
All the best to you and yours