Author Topic: Pension Record look up - Eakins (RIRifles)  (Read 1148 times)

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Pension Record look up - Eakins (RIRifles)
« on: Tuesday 26 February 08 12:51 GMT (UK) »

Hello to you

I've been reading on here that the WW1 Pension Records on Ancestry have  passed the letter 'E', and I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind to see if my gt granddad, Joseph Eakins is listed. He was killed in action at the Somme on 6/9/16, and served as a rifleman with the 7th Bat Royal Irish Rifles (Army No 5/5575). Born Dublin circa 1872.

We've never been able to establish if his wife, Mary Eakins ever received a widow's pension.

Kind regards

Mcvitie.

Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Pension Record look up - Eakins (RIRifles)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello McVitie
I cannot see the E's up on Ancestry Service records yet. A search for Eakins on Pensions Services brings up only a Joseph Eakins who lived in Liverpool.
The medal card is on Ancestry. If you want a copy please send me a PM and I will email it for you.

If you want me to have a look again on Ancestry in a few weeks please send me a PM as a reminder.
Happy to help

Incidentally Ancestry have scanned both sides of the medal cards- this one is blank

All the best

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline chris47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 10:11 GMT (UK) »
hi,mcvitie.
have you recieved the two emails,joseph eakins,i sent you.
chris.
haylor,chertsey,surrey,sussex,windsor
watling,sydenham,lewisham.
kent,berkshire.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 08 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of his parents?
IGI shows a Joseph Eakins born 30 Aug.1872 Co.Dublin. Parents John Eakins and Sarah Cooper (also another son John born 1871). This may or may not be the correct Joseph Eakins as not all Irish births are on IGI.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 08 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris47

My apologies for not having got back only my braodband at home is doing its usual falling over trick so have been unable to access my PMs - I'm hopefully getting it resolved today so will get back to you - thanks. McV

Hello aghadowey,

Thanks for your assistance here - indeed I have a copy of Joseph's marraige cert, 13/6/1899, at Trinity Belfast, and it states on there his dad was called John (a Spirit Merchant) but doesn't mention his mother's name for some reason? His wife was Mary Devlin, her dad was Patrick (Engine Driver) but again no mention of her mum's name.

I think the IGI entry must be him, as I'm sure he had a brother John too. They must have moved from Dublin at some stage to Antrim - I'm guessing it was for economic reasons?

Thanks again to you.
Regards
Mcvitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 March 08 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Irish marriage certificates never give the mothers' names.
What was Joseph's occupation on his marriage certificate?- maybe some clue there as to why he when to Belfast.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Joseph's occupation is shown as a 'Brass Finisher' Not sure exactly what that entailed ?

Kind regards

Mcvitie