Author Topic: Millard W Shevlin  (Read 5207 times)

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Millard W Shevlin
« on: Wednesday 27 February 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if there are any Glasgow Theatre buffs who may have heard of my grandmothers brother William Shevlin, who used the above stage name.
I have some Glasgow newspaper cuttings about him from his grand daughter in Canada. Until then I didn't know he was so well known in Glasgow Theatre circles. He had starred in and sometimes produced the epic tales of "Rob Roy" in the Kings and Theatre Royal during the twenties and thirties. He was also involved in acting and writing some early talkies produced by Scottish Film Productions in India Street, Glasgow.
I have contacted the Scottish Film Archives but they have no information about him
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline GlasgowCulture

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millard W Shevlin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I was interested to read your post about Millard William Shevlin. I am researching a
wide range of cultural activities in Glasgow, and, a few minutes ago, was reading a review
of "Rob Roy", performed at the Coliseum, in 1922. He played the title-role. Looking for more information, I was led to your post.

I have located some more facts about his career, and am more than happy to let you know
what I find. Best regards,

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
sorry I havn't been on here since your post. I would be glad to have any information on "Millard"
Whenever you have time

Thank you

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline GlasgowCulture

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 23 23:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply, Andrew, and I am very sorry for my delay in responding.
A recent bereavement has held me back for some time.

I will put together a selection of what I have collected from a range of sources, and
forward it to you within the next few weeks.

Best regards,

George

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 23 21:15 BST (UK) »
George,

Sorry for your loss.

No worries, thanks for your help.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline GlasgowCulture

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 23 21:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your kind response, Andrew.

I am putting together information extracted from The British Newspaper
Archive, and other sources, which provide some details of Millard's career and
the opinions of critics and a few of his contemporaries.

I expect to be able to forward the above, within the next few days.

Best regards,

George

Offline GlasgowCulture

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 May 23 20:38 BST (UK) »
I have extracted some Scottish articles from the newspaper archive, and hope they will be of interest to you.

1. From "The Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser", Saturday the 5th of May, 1906, page six:

BAILLIESTON

DRAMATIC PRODUCTION 0F ROB ROY

The well-known Scottish national drama Rob Roy was staged at Baillieston on the evenings of Friday, Saturday, and Monday last, by the members of the Baillieston Amateur Dramatic Club. It was originally billed for two nights only, but such was its success and so great were the numbers unable to gain admission, that the committee had to accede to the demand for another night. Mr John Picken presided, and, needless to say, the reception of the various parts by the crowded houses was at all times flattering.
The club members have only been practising at this piece for eight weeks, and it speaks volumes for the work they have done that they acquitted themselves so admirably. The costumes were all that could be desired, and the scenery was elaborate and costly. Everything moved smoothly from start to finish, the stage management being in the capable hands of Mr M. W. Shevlin and Mr Thomas Swan.
The principal characters of the piece had been very well chosen, and it is difficult to signal out any for special mention. Much of the success of the piece was no doubt due to the inimitable style of the world-famed Bailie Nicol Jarvie. This part was filled by Mr W. Leighton Roxburgh, who kept the house in a continual roar of laughter. The character of Rob Roy was done to the life by Mr Millard W. Shevlin. His make-up was splendid, and his representation of the outlaw was very well received. Certainly no one did more for the success of the piece than the Dougal Cratur. This weird personality was entrusted to Mr John Craig, who was at all times lively and striking. A fine Villain was Mr P. Shevlin, who took the part of Rashleigh. One admired specially the contemptuous expressions of face, the hissing voice and the generally hateful presentment of character which he gave the audience. ... Among the ladies one must notice the obedient Mattie, done by Miss M. Shevlin, ...

2. "The Port-Glasgow Express and Advertiser", Wednesday the 24th of November, 1909, page two:

'What the Folks are Saying'

That it would never do to speak of the
"tippeny concert" and forget the name of
William Millard Shevlin.

That his recitation of "Peter at the Gates
of Heaven" and "Love at the Spout"
fairly captivated the audience.

That this same artiste is to act the part
of "puir Dougal" in the Rob Roy production
in the King's Theatre on an early date.

That the house on Monday night was full
of talent - and all for tuppence!

That wonders will never cease.

3. "The Port-Glasgow Express and Observer", Wednesday the 2nd of September, 1914, page two.

Off to the War

GALLANT SONS OF THE PORT

Several well known Port-Glasgow young men have left and are leaving this week for active
service. Mr R. Barnes a well-known committee man of the Port Juniors F.C., was called up
and left on Monday to join an English yeomanry regiment with which he was connected
over ten years ago. He has been in charge of the iron-stowing department in the Clyde
Yard for several years, and we understand his employers are generously maintaining his
salary to his dependents left behind.

Mr Millard W. Shevlin, an engineer from the same yard, and well-known in the town for
his ability as an actor in "Rob Roy," etc. also left on Monday to join the Lanarkshire
Yeomanry.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you "Glasgow Culture".

I have just logged on here for the first time since you posted about Millard Shevlin.

Pity he has been almost forgotten in Scottish and theatrical film history.

Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glasgow Culture,

I just noticed the names Mr. P. Shevlin and Miss M. Shevlin.
Keeping it in the family?
 P. Shevlin might have been a brother Peter Shevlin,  my grandmother, William's sister was Margaret Shevlin. I believe she was also interested in the Theatre.
If this was 1906 then William would only be 21.
All of them lived in Boghall miners Rows near Baillieston at this time.

Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal