Author Topic: Didn't like being there  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Didn't like being there
« on: Friday 29 February 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

just looking at my great Uncles War papaers from ww1 and it seems he didnt like being there as there are may pages of offences for him from refusing to obey orders, quitting camp to having to be arrested as not going back on time  ::) wahhay i knew id have a bad one some where at last ! lol

anyway, looking at the punishements some state 5 days CB , what is CB?

thanks ill know i can rely on someone out here in cyberland  :D

cheers Jo
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DIDNT LIKE BEING THERE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
You don't mention what branch/country he served but CB could be 'confined to barracks.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 10:28 GMT (UK) »
looks like he didnt leave England, just transferred about the country to different regiments, his first little encounter was when he had been there 7 months he was just 17, he was 16 and a half when he enlisted

i think your right with comfied to barracks, maybe it was his way of not being sent out to war, if you think about it there was a method in his madness :P

thanks aghadowey  ;)

Jo

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 February 08 10:29 GMT (UK) »
just looking now he did 3 years in the uk and 5 months in france ::)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 February 08 10:49 GMT (UK) »

i think your right with comfied to barracks, maybe it was his way of not being sent out to war, if you think about it there was a method in his madness :P

I wouldn't be too harsh on him. The reasons for his disobedience may not have been so simple.

I wonder if he may have been trying to go to war to do his bit and was extremely frustrated to be kept in England and the disobeying orders was an attempt to get posted to the "action". If he enlisted at 16, he was obviously keen, and being kept back in England must have been a strain.

We can look at bald facts and make them fit to any hypothesis, but the reality may have been completely different

Glen

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 February 08 10:54 GMT (UK) »
very true there Glen, i think he possibly signed up because his elder siblings did too, looking further into it , he was wounded to his finger by a bullet, so possibly that happened in the time he was in France , not fit enough to go back( like holding a weapon ), and they decieded he was still fit but not fit enough to send back

ooh i love this hobby  ;D

have just found he died in 1956, so im working my way thru marriages now to see if he ever married

thanks Jo

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't like being there
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 February 08 15:59 GMT (UK) »
One of my rellies only been in a week disobeyed an order got court martialled sentenced to hard labour 18 months ... they overturned  the sentence (must have been desperate for manpower!!) he was transferred to Tank Corps played the medical discharge game and got out that way!! He never went abroad .....his daughter had no idea about his record...... i managed to find it on ancestry.
Guess he didnt like been told what to do!
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 14:52 GMT (UK) »
looks like he didnt leave England, just transferred about the country to different regiments, his first little encounter was when he had been there 7 months he was just 17, he was 16 and a half when he enlisted
Jo

officially a soldier had to be 19 to serve overseas, he may have signed up as a boy soldier so his age was acknowledged by the Army and therefore he had to be kept back in England

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't like being there
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Harribobs, makes things a bit more clearer now, going to look at your website now looks very interesting ;)

best wishes Jo