Author Topic: Old Parish Records look up please - Marriage  (Read 3131 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Parish Records look up please - Marriage
« on: Friday 29 February 08 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could someone with access to parish records of Marriages for Elgin have a look to see if there is a marriage for an Alexander Ingram and a Margaret Brandon.  Margaret was born in Elgin and Alexander in Banff according to a census.  The earliest date of birth for one of their children is 1837.

Any help would be appreciated.

Betty

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: Old Parish Records look up please - Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

I'm pretty sure the marraige you are looking for took place in Old Machar, Aberdeen.

On SP - 13/09/1834 @ Old Machar, Aberdeen; Alexander Ingram to Margt Brander  ref 168/B00 0160 0578
Viewing the actual record just might give you a little more info, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

I'm assuming you're referring to Alexander Ingram, Manager of a Flax Mill at Liff Road Quarry Mill, Lochee in 1851 and 1861.

Do you have the 1841 census info, as that seems to show an elder daughter Cathrine, born c.1835.

They're living with a Betty Forsyth from Ireland age 40, at Scouringburn Malcolme Entry, Dundee,  and Alexander's name is horribly transcribed by ancestry:

Alese (!) Ingram, 30, b. Scotland
Margaret Ingram, 25, b. Scotland
Cathrine Ingram, 6, b. Angus, Scotland
Mary Ingram, 4. b. Angus, Scotland

There are three others living there too:

James Omer, 20
Kathrine Omer, 11 months
Margret Webster, 15.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ellen.

Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 March 08 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen

Thanks for the information you have given me.  I didn't manage to find the censuses myself but someone else from Roots Chat helped me out.

I found a site that indicated that Catherine died in 1843. 

I have nothing concrete to prove I have the correct person in the censuses but there is a lot that matches.  The thing that is making me dubious is that on Alexander's grave stone it indicates he was a Spirit Dealer.

Did you find Brander in records that had been transcribed.  The maiden name I am looking for is Brandon(name on grave and death extract).  Certainly could be the same.

Thanks for your time

Betty

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 March 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
If you are hoping to get parents' names from an entry in the Elgin parish register your are likely to be disappointed. In any case I note that there is no marriage of Alexander Ingram to Margaret Brandon in the online index to the OPRs at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, so it looks unlikely that such an entry exists.

As you have seen his gravestone, and know his date of death, have you got Alexander's death certificate from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk? It should tell you the names of his parents. It will also say whether he was married or widowed, which will help to find Margaret's and get the names of her parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 08 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanks for your comments.

I have the Death extract of Alexander which gives me his parents names and gives me his wifes maiden name.  I only had one credit left on Scotland's People to view marriage of Alexander and Margaret Brandon/Brander.  I will have to wait for more credits to see original to see if it might have been transcribed wrong.

My query was a round about way of trying to solve a query to connect another ancestor with the Ingrams.  On another ancestor's death notice the informant was a son of Alexander Ingram. It states  the son was a cousin of my ancestor.  I can only think the connection is through a sister of the mother or father who married.

Thanks

Betty