Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52559 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #45 on: Friday 19 June 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Jane, I see from a report on my grandmother's 1901 inquest that she was taking "Mother Segal's syrup" as a tonic. I believe that it contained sulphuric acid, can you please confirm this and also list the other ingredients, and say in your opinion what its effects on a patient would have been.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Beximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 19 June 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Beximus

Have you still got the register ??? ???

I'm after William Waller Stapleton in Shefford, Beds.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Mark :)

Sure - I should be popping back into my local archives to do some more research tomorrow, so I'll have a look for you then  :)

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 19 June 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Beximus

Any chance of finding this one?

Please could you try to look up John Taylor, b.1835 North Shields, Tynemouth, England. In 1851 he was a Chemist's Apprentice and in later census gave his occupation as a druggist.

In 1891 he is living at 41 Linshill Terrace, North Shields, he was a wholesale druggest drysalter.

In 1901 he is living at 25 Spring Terrace, Preston, Northumberland, he was 65 and a retired Chemist.

He lived and worked in North Shields all his life.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 19 June 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Beximus

Any chance of finding this one?

Please could you try to look up John Taylor, b.1835 North Shields, Tynemouth, England. In 1851 he was a Chemist's Apprentice and in later census gave his occupation as a druggist.

In 1891 he is living at 41 Linshill Terrace, North Shields, he was a wholesale druggest drysalter.

In 1901 he is living at 25 Spring Terrace, Preston, Northumberland, he was 65 and a retired Chemist.

He lived and worked in North Shields all his life.

Laurina

I'll have a look see if there is anything.  They've only got 1875-1879 there, but he should pop up in there somewhere I'd have thought.

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 19 June 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I appreciate that. In 1881 he's at 12 Luis Kile Terrace, Tynemouth - he's in North Shields all his life.

Let's hope he's there.

Laurina

Offline Beximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 20 June 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Chewboy:

William Waller Stapleton is in the 1875 register, resident at Shefford, Beds.  He registered on Dec 31st 1868, again at the beginning of compulsary registration, and is down as having been in business before August 1st 1868, and has no exam dates next to his name so probably didn't take any.  The information is still the same in 1879, which is as late as I can look I'm afraid.

Laurina:

I've found John Taylor in the 1875 register, and his details are pretty similar, although his residential address is given as Linskill Terrace, North Shields, rather than Linshill.  He registered on Dec 31st 1868 and was in business before August 1st 1868 as well, with no sign of an exam taken.

But - from 1876 to 1879, he's not in Linskill/Linshill anymore, at least he's not registered from there.  There is a John Taylor who gives his residence as 75 Clive Street, North Shields, so this may be the same one as he's still in the right area, although there's no definite way to tell (there's quite a handful of John Taylors in the book!)  There's no one registered under the address given for the 1881 Census either.

I hope this info is of some use :)

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 20 June 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Beximus. That is helpful ;D

That he probably didn't have any qualifications surprises me not at all. :D

He also left the Pharmaceutical business rather hurriedly in his mid fifties, and we are trying to find out whether there was a scandal or not.

Thank you again

Mark :)
Mark ;)

GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 20 June 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Beximus,

You're spot on with John Taylor. I have him in Clive Street at a later date too.

Thank you very much

Laurina

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 26 June 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I have been away for a while but I am back now. The modern day world of pharmacy has just been too busy.

We have to be aware that the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (RPSGB) who holds all the records is about to go through a huge reorganisation. It currently is the professional body and the regulatory body for pharmacists and it holds all the records since 1841. I believe quite rightly that the the time has come for the regulatory body and the professional body to be divided. It is proposed that the regulatory body will be the General Pharmaceutical Council and the Professional Body has yet to be defined.

If family history is important to you may be you should let the society know as during the reorganisation it is reviewing the core aspects of its role. I think the historical aspects are important but they could be easily overlooked at this time. I am not trying to raise a petition or a pressure group but if you want to forward your comments then this is the link:

Chief Executive and Registrar:

jeremy.holmes@rpsgb.org

Kind regards

Jane

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk