Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52535 times)

Offline zenobia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 27 June 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info  but I would like records pre 1835 (London) on apothecary/surgeons. 
I have followed a number of links and inevitably go round in circles. (Computers and I .....well) :-[
I have also checked Australian records with no luck.
Regards
Zenobia

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 28 June 09 17:26 BST (UK) »
Jane, Do you have any suggestions as to the approach we should take when lobbying the society? Also,  a little while ago, I asked in an earlier post on this thread about the contents of Mother Segal's Syrup?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 05 July 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane,

Many thanks for your kind offer to do lookups. Are you still doing them or are you snowed under? If you have time it would be appreciated if you could do a look up for FREDERICK BRIGGS. He was a DRUGGIST/CHEMIST in Pembroke , Pembrokeshire in the 1840's. By 1861 he had ceased to be so and he stated on the 1861 census that he was an Agent for the Irish Steam Packet running from Neyland to Cork. Not so suprising as his Stepfather came from Cork but quite a career change!

Regards

Kingskerswell
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 05 July 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
http://www.healthysecrets.com/health_news/topics/cayenne_pepper-capsicum.html   says that Mother Seigals syrup contained dilute hydrochloric acid and tincture of capsicum.
Jed

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 05 July 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jed, Peppers and sulphuric acid, certainly make you jump around. I suspect aversion therapy played a part too!
Kingskerwell, In view of this dramatic career change, is it possible that Frederick was struck off after some failure or scandal?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 05 July 09 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Red,

Couldn't agree more that there might have been a scandal. He was my 2xG Grandmothers brother and after 1861 Census I "lose" him all together! Have tried Cork but that was some time ago, they have more on line now so must try again. Must also try, if I can find them, local Pembroke Papers!

Kingskerswell
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Josee

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking everywhere!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 05 July 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

If you still have access and time for lookups  ::) would you be able to look for
Richard Lawton SMETHURST recorded as a Pharmaceutical Chemist on the 1861 and 1871 census, also on his December 1876 marriage certificate to my Gt grand aunt Mary Hannah HARGREAVES (formerly BARROW). His address at all these times was Greengate Salford.
Can't see him on the Historical Directories site :(
Heres hoping :)
Jo
Barrow, Fletcher, Clayton, Booth, Elderton, Allen & Warnock, Nanfan, :all Manchester, Taylor in NZ
Finlayson/Hargreaves/Barrow in Canada.

Offline Marglos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Robert Todd born about 1819 in Kirton in Lindsey, Lincs was a 'chemist & druggist' in Hunmanby, Yorkshire when he married my Gt. Grandmother Mary Jane Anderson in 1852. I've been trying to find her, in vain so far but it would help if you could look him up for me.

Census 1841 show him as a druggist and '51 as a chemist and still living at Kirton in Lindsey.

I'd be most grateful to have any information about him. His death cert. Jun 1889 showed him as a Chemist & Druggist (Master) although he stopped practising sometime after 1861.

Many thanks and regards.
Marglos

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 26 July 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather John Stather Cousens was a chemist, born South Cave Yorks 1853. He was an apprentice chemist in Hull in 1871, by 1881 he was fully fledged and in Eckington, Derbys, in 1891 in Sheffield and by 1901 (until his death) in Nottingham.
Is it possible to discover where he did his training? My gt gt grandmother was born and lived in the Somerset area so I have always wondered where and how they met.

I'd appreciate any information about him.
Thanks.
garibaldired