Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52537 times)

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Jane,

I hope you can help, a member of my family was a chemist, from Cardiganshire he was on the 1911 census at Upper Gloucester Place London, found  him again 1931 details from a will Newgate Street London, I will try the LMA later, his name
David Morgan Rees, would you have any more to add.

Thanks Joan

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

One of my ancestors was a chemist - his name was Theophilus Aston Wedge, b 1824. 
On the 1861 census he is shown in High Street Dudley as 'Assistant (Chemist and Druggist)' age 22; on the 1881 census he is at 30 Broad Street Bilston, occupation Chemist.
Theo died in 1888: his death is registered in Christchurch, Dorset.

Any information you could find about him him would be wonderful!

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on William James who is down as an Apothocary on two of his children's baptisms in Christ Church Spitalfields in 1767 and 1771, before moving to St Mary Whitechapel.  He was of St Botolph without Aldgate when he married.  Would someone this early appear in the records of the Society?  Would someone working outside of the historic "city" of London have much chance of turning up perhaps in the records of The Worshipful Society of Apothecaries?

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dandalady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 03 March 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
hello

looking for any information on Thomas Barker born in Exeter Devon in 1826. from 1851 he is living in Aston  Birmingham where he is listed as a druggist and a grocer and druggist. He had a brother William also a druggist  and edward Thompson who was a vet in worcester.
Thomas lived in Finch street Lozells where I presume he had his shop?
any info apreciated

Dandalady

Offline DavyC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 11 March 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Really would appreciate some help.

Trying to locate a Samuel Black, I believe he was born in County Donegal 1918/19.  He worked in Austins Chemist, The Diamond, Londonderry, in or around the late 1930's.  I have lost him after this.  Austins Chemist was run or owned by people called Stinson.

As I said any help would be really appreciated.

Davy C

Offline AEngland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great-grandfather, William Richard Wells (1809-1865), was a "master chemist & druggist" & listed as such on his children's birth records, & censuses. His son George Osborn Wells became a chemist also. In 1851 a young William Park was his assistant. William lived in the St. Pancras area of Middlesex. I would love to know where he went to school, as I am trying to verify that his parents were Joseph & Elizabeth. I cannot find a birth record. Thank you SO much for any info.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 16 June 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
Way back in March 08, Treetotal posted about an ancestor who went from being a 'grocer & druggist' in one census to a 'licensed victualler' two censuses later, suggesting it is hard to imagine a link between the two. 

Well, for what it is worth -- and I post it here in case it is of interest to anyone or is something anyone can throw further light on -- my chemist ancestor Owen Davies Owen, who published between 1860 & 1880 a couple of books on basic pharmacology includes amongst these one titled, "The licensed victuallers' pocket manual and book of receipts".  So it seems as if there actually WAS some sort of link between drugs and booze so far as our Victorian chemist ancestors were concerned!  :o

Curious!   
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 17 June 11 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Annie...so that is a connection there then...How strange...I will have to do a bit of digging.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
There were very few restrictions on the sale of alcohol prior to WW1, so I suspect nothing to stop a pharmacist selling liquor!Afterall it's another drug anyway!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)