Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52533 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 18 June 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, Redroger!  Yes; that's an interesting thought!  And maybe many poor folk in Victorian times preferred dulling their bodily aches and pain with drink to subjecting themselves to the leeches or blistering?!!  (No question which one I'd have opted for, anyway!)  ;D

Perhaps some members of middle class Victorian society, anxious to maintain their veneer of respectability, would not have wanted to cross the threshold of a pub or tavern, and so what more "respectable" outlet to purchase your liquor from for home consumption but the pharmacist?! (This is though, of course, pure speculation on my part).

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 18 June 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Brandy has been used for medicinal purposes for years...I was given Indian Brandy for all sorts of ailments when I was a kid ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 18 June 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
There is another factor that springs to mind, that is the strong Temperance Movement which was evident in the Victorian period; this, coupled with the Victorian talent for hypocrisy does suggest that we may have hit on something here. A middle or upper class member of a temperance society would not want to get caught buying alcohol, think of the social stigma, so a respectable outlet as you say.
The inquest on my grandmother (1901) mentioned she used Mother Siegal's Syrup, a pharmacist friend found the ingredients for me, it had sulphuric acid as a base! Many of the stronger medicines in use in that period would now be clasified as Class A drugs, including many opiates used as pain killers in confinements, I believe today Queen Victoria would be described as addicted to opium.For another insight the Sherlock Holmes books give a view of drug taking in Victorian London.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 18 June 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Well Roger...On the subject of Opium....you only have to look at what some of the work that French Artists of that ara produced...Say no more ;D ;D ;D
If they weren't drug induced...some of the work they produced certainly was halucinogenic ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 18 June 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
What was Piccasso on then? And Dali? Both latert I know!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Picasso I believed had distorted vision probaly brought on by migraine...I put this theory forward to my art teacher...he liked it ;D ;D ;D ;D
Or over use of opiates.....there is one story that he was painting  in a mental hospital and slipped and tore the painting..in desperation...he tried to glue it together but realised the pieces were put together wrong..but a rich spanish king saw it and liked it and offered to buy it for a ridiculously high price...Mmmm...gap in the market moment for Picasso...and the rest..is history ;D ;D ;D ;D
Carol

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
That's Piccasso, but what about Dahli?

Offline beautifulred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 19 July 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Can anyone please help with some information i have been told that my great aunt and uncle Alexander and Agnes Macrae might have had a chemist shop in or around Glasgow not sure if this is correct.  They had a son Alistair Macrae who died in world war 2, Alexander and Alistair are buried in Balonock cemetary.
On the headstone after Alexander's name is NAS not sure has this is not very clear, they lived on Broomfield Road and could have lived on the Ilse of Bute at some time.

Scotland Wigtownshire Reid/Lavery/Laverie/Hannah/Hannay/Boyes/Harkness/Kennedy
Greenock/Jedburgh
Weston/Leck/Mcfarlane
Glasgow/Ilse Of Bute
Mcrae/Strachan

Offline Jean_Cooling

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 17 June 13 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Not sure if this is still active but I wonder if you might be able to help me find out more about my Great Grandfather, Thomas Cooling (b. 1877/8). He was a chemist, I think he trained in Edinburgh and practiced on the continent in Rome and Florence around the turn of the century. He had a Chemists in Wandsworth around 1914/15 and then later owned another shop in Edenbridge, Kent.

Thanks,
Jean