Author Topic: Medal card - what is it all about?  (Read 3517 times)

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Medal card - what is it all about?
« on: Friday 29 February 08 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hoping someone maybe able to help me, with a query on Medal cards. I have been doing some research on a great uncle who with 5 other brothers all served in WW1 with the Leinsters. I have their Medal cards fine, however whilst looking I came across another Medal card for an S. Nixon. Nothing is really filled in, including full name but the address at the bottom is the same as the other Nixon brothers so he must be related. Can anyone advise a) why it wasn't filled in and how I can find out anymore about him. The family lived in Roscrea N.Ireland so a census search is not possible either. He doesn't appear on Commonwealth war graves or WW1 pension records. Please can anyone help?
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Watson (Stockton on Tees)
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Rothwell (Salford/Heywood, Lancs - Stockton, Durham.)
Paisley(Hampshire)
White (East Stoneham/Liverpool)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
Re: Medal card - what is it all about?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Romawi

Does the card have a different service number to the rest?

Cheers

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
I seem to remember you asking about the Nixon brothers before.

In this particular case, it's not filled in because it doesn't actually relate to WW1 service. No Star, BWM or Victory.
What is said on the front is "IGS/M/Lein R" and on the back "IGS +clasp Malabar 21/4/21" (I think, bit hard to read)

So this relates to service in 1921-22 in minor operations in India.
The medal is the India General Service medal with clasps Malabar 1921-22.
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/india_general_service_1908.htm

Since he doesn't have the WW1 medals, he was either in the UK for the duration and hence not entitled or he was too young and joined up sometime in the period 1918-1921

So have you not come across an S. Nixon at all in your family research?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 February 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
He was in either B or C companies, 1st Battalion

A couple of links for you, the Dorset Regt one as it's a good account of the Moplah Rebellion in Malabar:
http://www.leinster-regiment-association.org.uk/history/20th/1919-1922.htm
http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/malabar.php?&dx=1&ob=3

Any records/papers for him might just be at TNA or may still be with the MOD.
The key is whether he stayed on with the army further on into the 1920s and beyond.
The thing is though that in the following year 1922 the Leinster Regt were disbanded (along with many other Irish regiments in the British army) on the formation of the Irish Republic. So he may have transferred regiments and continued to serve, he may have returned to civilian life or he may have joined the fledgling Irish Defence Forces.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 February 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

Wasn't this Su only been on since 4th Feb, but nonetheless interested.

The only one I have come across was a S Nixon killed in the Roslea area of County Fermanagh  March 22nd 1921.  He was called Samuel, but I suspect there will be many S Nixon's flying about there.

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 February 08 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that, bit of a learning curve with these. I found the details on Ancestry under WW1 medal cards so assumed it was from then. No, haven't come across this S.Nixon before at all, only found it as I was browsing all nixons cards in the leinster reg and came across this one with address on. perhaps he was a younger brother to the rest. Will check out whether he served with IDF at all. Will try and check out Malabar links too. Thanks all once again.
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Watson (Stockton on Tees)
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Rothwell (Salford/Heywood, Lancs - Stockton, Durham.)
Paisley(Hampshire)
White (East Stoneham/Liverpool)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 February 08 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Purely conjecture - but perhaps he signed up but never got the chance to serve? 

The  S Nixon I was refering to had joined the newly formed  Special Constabulary (B members) and was a Sgt.

Have fun searching :D

Su

Offline ladysmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Alternatively he could have joined up for war service but didn't serve overseas. Army personnel who served only in the UK (which at that time included the whole of Ireland) in WW1 didn't get any medals. A tad unfair as Royal Navy personnel in the same situation received the British War Medal.

David

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 March 08 12:10 GMT (UK) »
The 1st Leinster Regt had 332 soldiers with the Indian General Service Medal (1908-1935) Malaber bar (1921-22). Army Order 50 of 1924 sanctioned the award of the bar to all who took part in the suppression of the Moplah Rebellion in Malabar.

Malabar lies between the Nilgiri Hills and the Arabian Sea, it is inhabited by Hindus and Mohammedans, most of whom are Moplahs or Mapillas.

From British Battles & Medals by Maj L.L.Gordon.