Author Topic: WILKINS - Hook Norton -CHIPPING NORTON  (Read 2949 times)

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WILKINS - Hook Norton -CHIPPING NORTON
« on: Monday 10 January 05 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help me.  Looking for details of the Wilkins family in Chipping Norton - details herewith.  Caleb Wilkins born 1850 Ellen (wife) born 1855 dau Margaret 1886 dau Ethel May born 1888, dau Hilda born 1887 son Morgan born 1893 and Edwin Maynard born 1896.  Edwin Wilkins married Mary Blodwen George as follow:- Edwin Maynard Wilkins 24 years Jeweller, residing at 133 Pennant St Ebbw Vale fathers name Caleb Wilkins and Mary Blodwen George 28 years of 34 Edward St Pant Dowlais father Thomas George (deceased)  date of marriage was 17th November 1919 at Merthyr Tydfil register office.  The witnesses names are S Lewis and Margaret Jones. 

Mary was widowed in 1922 but had my father in 1924 whose name was Charles Gildus Wilkins (although we know that Edwin could definitely not have fathered our father he still carried Edwin Wilkins name) but the father although it did not appear on the birth cert did appear on the admission form for fostering (Mission of Hope in London) as Fred Norris Electrician.  I am interested though to see if anyone knows of S Lewis who was a witness to the marriage as there is a Gildus Lewis born in 1901 for the Pontypridd area and we are wondering if he is connected with the witness to this marriage.

Mary Blodwen George was born in Newtown Montgomeryshire and Edwin Wilkins at Chipping Norton Oxon. 

Does anyone who anything also about Fred/Frederick Norris. 

Is it possible that any Wilkins member knows of Mary and where she went after Edwin died.  Did she return to Edwins family at Chipping Norton or stay in Glamorgan.  I do not think she returned to montgomeryshire.  It is vital to know where to start our search for further information.

Thanks for reading this - hope you can help

Janet

Offline Lewy

• RootsChat Senior
  • "My Nan: 1910 - 2003"
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINS - Hook Norton -CHIPPING NORTON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 16:28 GMT (UK) »
can't find Caleb or Edwin in Chipping Norton. Found a Caleb born in Warwickshire 1849?

Found Caleb's marriage to Ellen WILLIAMS on 5 March 1885 by BANNS. He was bach 35 Publican son of Joseph (Coachman). Ellen ws spinster, 30 daughter of james (grocer). Witnesses Jame sWilliams and Edith Compton.

I guess you probably had all that already.

Lewy
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis, Gladman, Billins, Pickton, Chandler, Rendell - London/Middlesex
Clarke, Firman, Sturgeon - Suffolk
Tully - Lambeth/St Pancras
Hulse - London/Surrey
Lott, White - Portsea, Hampshire
Cook - Wiltshire/Hampshire/Surrey
Martin -Dorset/Hampshire
Churchill - Dorset
Holt, Harris - Guildford/Godalming, Surrey
Trigg/Howard/Daws/Field?Novell - Chertsey, Surrey
Ives, Chobham, Surrey
Joyner, Cox - Oxon/Warwicks

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINS - Hook Norton -CHIPPING NORTON
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks - how did you get this information and how can we find out more about this family.

Janet