Author Topic: Government Emigrant Agent Cork  (Read 975 times)

Offline MC

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Government Emigrant Agent Cork
« on: Saturday 01 March 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I need lots of help please on the following girls pre their life before boarding ship in Cork ...

I am researching two sisters, Ellen Collins 22, dressmaker, and Mary Collins 19 General Servant ,  who arrived as emigrants, in Port Jackson (Sydney Australia) from Cork Ireland, on the Duchess of Northumberland 3rd Oct 1836. The ship left Cork on 26 May. Master of the ship was Roxburgh, Surgeon Sup was Robert Huntley, 319 emigrants aboard.

I have read that information on emigration to the Colonies over the years 1831 - 1838 was provided by Liet. Charles Friend RN the Government Emigration Agent in Cork, at his office at No 1 Warrens Place (now Parnell Place)

Also, that newspapers for the day were the primary sources plus minute books of the Foundling Hospital and the House of Industry. The Foundling Hospital and House of Industry opened in 1747 on the site now occupied by Murphy's Brewery at the Junction of Leitrim St, Watercourse Road and Upper John St. When it closed a new workhouse opened on the Douglas Road in 1840

42 of the girls aboard the ship were from the House of Industry but were not identified as such.

Would anyone have access to above sources?

:)thank you - any info greatly received
MC

Down, Ire: Rourke;
Armagh, Ire: Quinn, Read;
London, Eng: Clunne;
Kent, Eng: Clunne, Outred, Piplar;