Author Topic: Fairbrass  (Read 17667 times)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fairbrass
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Now to complicate matters a little further..........
From the Natal Marriages database which is being transcribed here in Durban....

Charles Edward FAIRBRASS marrying Rebecca Ann DYER on 28 Dec 1888 in  Durban.

Walter FAIRBRASS marrying Julia THOMAS on 4 Dec 1876 in Durban.

I am really busy at the moment but I have a film waiting for me at the Family history centre that I need to investigate. I will only get there in a months time when school has closed for the holidays. When I am there I can look up the place and witnesses for you.
Good luck
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've just realised that I didn't put the date on the passenger list :-[ the date of departure was 25 August 1898.

Thanks Ruth for dating it :)

but I make it that he should have been born c.1853...not that I can find him :(

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline farbrace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow Ruth, rather than complicate I think you have solved the problem. Edward Fairbrass son of Frederick William Fairbrass & Sophia Cannon born 15 July 1860 Westgate without Canterbury Kent UK for some unexplained reason [maybe baptised but not yet found] was called Charles on the 1861 and 1871 census. He has not been located on the 1881 or 1891 census but as an Insurance Manager could well have been travelling at the time, possibly abroad.
Intriguingly he had a brother Walter Fairbrass born 7 September 1854 Canterbury Kent UK not found after 1861 census until a death 9 May 1890 buried in unconsecrated ground at Herne Bay Cemetery aged 35. I had assumed he had died without marrying having found no marriage or evidence of a spouse. However he could have married aged 22 and she may have died, separated....there is no Julia death [just checked] recorded in the UK.

So Ruth I would be grateful for your lookups and can be patient - what's a month after having waited years to solve this puzzle. Many many thanks, John

Offline farbrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 11:49 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank everybody who offered help as having obtained some documents I have identified Edward Fairbrass. If anybody finds any mention of the name anywhere I would always be pleased to receive it. Thanks again, John

Offline fairbrass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 November 08 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear Farbrace
I have just started researching my family tree so I don’t have too much information.

My name is James Frederick Fairbrass
Son of Michael Vernon Fairbrass
Son of Frederick Vernon Fairbrass brother to Bruce Fairbrass and elfrida mary Hudson-reed(nee Fairbrass)
Sons of Charles Edward Fairbrass (d13/06/1944) brother of Ada may Fairbrass, bertha Fairbrass, Herbert Fairbrass, Hilda Mary Fairbrass, Gertrude Cummings, Emmeline Fairbrass, and Sophie lee Fairbrass.
sons of Frederick William Fairbrass (d1988)
I have a few documents relating to Frederick William Fairbrass's estate. Although i do not have his will it seems that his wishes where that his estate was to be kept in trust until all his children had died and then only distributed to his grand children. This is why my grandfather had the documents.
Any further information you can give me will be much appreciated.
James Fairbrass

Offline farbrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi James, Great to hear from you. Thanks to this list and extensive research you do feature in my tree. I recently used facebook to make contact with your brother but would very much like to exchange information. I have purchased a number of documents from South Africa of people you have named but I have a number of queries also. As a completist doing a one-name study I would appreciate actual dates of events - I mainly have year date only. I have traced your line back to 1500 and am willing to share the info. Please contact me direct on ( emaill address deleted) and we can help each other out I am sure. Look forward to hearing from you, John O'Shea

Offline Veradeuf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 June 22 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, we are researching the Fairbrass family line and trying to make a connection from my mother, Audry Hull (Nee Fairbrass) born 6 December 1930 in Johanersburg who was daughter of Frederick Vernon Fairbrass born in Durban South Africa 21 October 1889, who died in White River in 1970.

We believe Vernons' father was born in the UK and emigrated to South Africa. We would really appreciate and records or documents that could provide the connection to out Great Grandfather. Our cousin James Faibrass who had some documents has since died.

It may be possible it is Charles Edward Fairbrass born in Canterbury 1859/60 but cannot prove this.

Thanks in advance for any info, Lulu/Pete

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, we are researching the Fairbrass family line and trying to make a connection from my mother, Audry Hull (Nee Fairbrass) born 6 December 1930 in Johanersburg who was daughter of Frederick Vernon Fairbrass born in Durban South Africa 21 October 1889, who died in White River in 1970.

We believe Vernons' father was born in the UK and emigrated to South Africa. We would really appreciate and records or documents that could provide the connection to out Great Grandfather. Our cousin James Faibrass who had some documents has since died.

It may be possible it is Charles Edward Fairbrass born in Canterbury 1859/60 but cannot prove this.

Thanks in advance for any info, Lulu/Pete

Are the added links the kind of stuff that you are looking for re Charles Edward FAIRBRASS?:

In the third quarter of 1852 Drederick William FAIRBRASS and Sophia/e CANNON married  in district Canterbury (Kent).
They would register the the births of the following children in district Bridge (Kent):
ADA  MAY Q#2 1853
WALTER Q#4 1854
EMMELINE Q#4 1855
CANNON Q#1 1858
HERBERT Q#2 1859
EDWARD Q#3 1860
SOPHIA Q#3 1862
And the following births in district Canterbury (Kent):
GERTRUDE Q#2 1864
BERTHA Q#3 1865
?? HILDA  MARY Q#4 1871

As “Charles” he is  living with his family in North Lane, Westgate, Without, Kent (Registrar's district: Bridge) in the 1861 UK Census (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7P6-57Z ) and in Cliff, East, Dover in the 1871 census.
Note: Not with his family in 1881 Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27W-NMR1. It is possible that Charles is living in London as border “Charles E FAIRBRASS”  (working in the flour trade) in 1881.

In 1888 Charles Edward FAIRBRASS marries Rebecca Ann DYER in Durban: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6YV9-DQC?i=198

His parents are mentioned on his death notice:
His 1944 Death Notice as “Edward”: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9T-PSYJ-J?i=2377
Next page Death Notice as "Charles Edward": https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9T-PSPM-4?i=2378
NB The next pages are his probate/estate

In case you haven’t got this, Frederick Vernon’s 1971 estate papers” https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXJ-Y338-J?i=5660 .

Offline Veradeuf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the above information regarding Edward, his death certificate is important to our lineage as it names his son Frederick Vernon Fairbrass which we hope is our grandfather. It's uncanny that Edward died in the same street where we live. Hopefully we can prove that it is the same Frederick Vernon Fairbrass to our maternal line. Thank you again, this is really useful and takes us a step further.