Author Topic: Armstrong/OBrien in Windsor?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong/OBrien in Windsor?
« on: Sunday 02 March 08 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of a Marriage Certificate from 4 October 1840 solemnized in the Catholic Chapel Clewer Green.(A room of the "Hermitage")

It is between John Armstrong a Porter of Slough,, Bucks. (Father  - James - a coachman)
and Anora O'Brien a Servant, 8 Adelaide Terrace,New Windsor(Father- James -a Gardener)

It was witnessed by a Michael Regan and James O'Brien.

On 2nd May 1841 John sailed on the Whitby from Gravesend to Nelson,NZ.
On 1st Oct 1842 Anora aged 22(listed as Aurora but also known in NZ as Ann Norah) sailed on the Indus from Gravesend to Nelson.
John had a brother James who also came to NZ in 1847.
An extensive history exists from that point, here in NZ but I would like to confirm rumour/speculation on their life prior to the marriage.
I have seen a picture of "The Hermitage" and also of 8 Adelaide Terrace(now about 60 Kings Road)

It has been suggested that John's family originally came from County Cavan at some stage, that John's mother may have been a Bridget Smith and that despite the name on the certificate, his father's name may have actually been Patrick, which I find a bit hard to believe!

I had a look online at the 1841/51 Census lists but  being new to all this I cannot claim much success even for James O'Brien. It was claimed that Anora drew an allowance from the Post Office in Slough while waiting to leave to join her husband - perhaps she was living with her in-laws? but I cannot even find her in the census.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - even knowing exactly which County they could be in would help - seems that it could be Berks, Bucks or Surrey.

For that matter, this query may also be in the wrong place?

Cheers,
Tizme
New Zealand.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong/OBrien in Windsor?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 08 12:50 GMT (UK) »
A possible for Anora:

HO107/61/8 3 p2 in Slough (parish of Stoke Poges)

Hannah Armstrong age 20 born Ireland?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 08 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Nell.

That sounds pretty good actually. Hannah is not so far removed from all the other names she has been called over the years.

I originally thought that Slough was in the parish of Stoke Poges rather than the other way around (as appears to be the case after checking a map tonight) so had not mentioned it is the parish that John Armstrong was from in Slough according to the Marriage certificate.

Also interesting to see that an Elizabeth OBrien is also listed as resident in Stoke Poges - perhaps a younger sister?
A long shot but worth investigating I guess.

Anora's Death Certificate does not mention where she was born so I guess Census returns may be the only other source.

Tizme.

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Little Nell,

I am at a loss to know where to go from here with tracing Anora Obrien or John Armstrong and would appreciate any suggestions you or other readers may have.

With Thanks,

Tizme
NZ.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I can understand that.

But since she left the country so soon after the 1841 census - and her husband even sooner - and she was not apparently born in England, tracing her could be a real problem.  I have to admit to leaving my Irish gt gt grandmother's origins in Limerick lurking in obscurity until I feel up to the task.  :-\

I hope someone else may be able to help.  If you don't get any more replies, post something on the Ireland board - others more experienced than I may be able to shed some light on this one.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I checked the Clewer PRs and there's only one Armstrong entry in the 1800s. It may be irrelevant - or it may just be John's brother James before he emigrated?

Baptised March 20 1836 Henry Little s/o James & Susan Armstrong; Cavalry Barracks, Private, Royal Horse Guards Blue.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 08 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I have just been having another look through some old papers passed to me by my father and have found a Death Cert for James carefully filed away in an old envelope.
James was 87 when he died in Nelson in 1908; married a Hannah Holdsworth at the age of 19 in England and had been in NZ 56 years.
It says also that he was born in County Carau. Mothers maiden name Smith. Parents christian names not stated.

Even more interesting is that his children are listed as  - M58; F 66,62,54,51,44.
That means least 3 of the kids were born in England before they left.

Finally I may have found something tangeable to work with.

To that end I may well have found the group in Yorkshire (1851 Census) this evening.
I need to spend a bit more time confirming names before bed.
I will have to chase the moths out of my wallet and subscribe to Ancestry to gain full access. Probably well worth the cost.

Thanks for the reply Nell - I will go to the Ireland board if the above leads dry up.

Thanks also to Jill - I should have spotted the info in these old papers earlier and saved us all a wild goose chase although there really does seem to be some guesswork going on at times amongst the info in the battered old suitcase.

Cheers,
Tizme.
NZ

Offline mcneight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 11 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tizme
John & Ann Armstrong are listed in the passengers list for the Whitby which sailed from Gravesend to Wellington 1841-42

Offline mcneight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 February 11 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Also check out John Armstrong in "Papers Past" A wonderful site set up by Nat.Lib. NZ. He is listed many times in "The Colonist"