Author Topic: Armstrong/OBrien in Windsor?  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong/OBrien in Windsor?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 February 11 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there McNeight,

I access Papers Past NZ quite often actually and agree it is a great resource. Yes, saw John and his family members mentioned in there over the years through fines, fires, the Nelson Oddfellows Lodge of which he was a foundation member, etc.

This John Armstrong was hired by Wakefield and left for NZ in May on the Whitby, his wife received a gratuity paid to her in Slough before leaving for NZ on the Indus in October.  Not sure who the John and Ann would be.
There was another John A. (a shopkeeper)in Nelson later too.

Cheers,

Gary

Offline mcneight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 February 11 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary
Just been checking the shipping list again for the Whitby 1841 voyage & John  & Ann Armstrong are listed as passengers. I'm fairly sure this is the better or more upright "John Armstrong" who crops up in "The Colonist"

cheers

Liz

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 February 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

It is my belief, from the shipping list and other material that the Whitby sailed for NZ in May 1841 with an all male group of crew and passengers. The women made passage by other vessels.
I am not sure where John and Ann are listed on the Whitby - perhaps it was a later voyage?  I have not had any luck in locating your 'Ann' could you point me in the right direction please?

John, an agricultural labourer started a very successful carrier business in Nelson, carried on by his sons. His brother James also came out later with his wife and children and also settled in Nelson. Both men and several family members are often listed in the Nelson area papers as you have pointed out.
I have a copy of a photograph (a copy may be in paperspast actually)showing the shop I mentioned but my father (now 91) had no luck in finding any link to our lot.  Do you have any links to the Armstrongs yourself by any chance?

I am most interested in your comments and pleased you have corresponded on the matter.  I look forward to your reply.

Cheers,
Gary.

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 February 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Liz,

I guess you have seen this -
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=TC19020509.2.7&e=-------10--1----0--

His is the oldest grave I found, at the back at the Catholic Cemetary just out of Blenheim NZ.
Daughter Katherine (Gosling) and several others in a family plot with him.

cheers,

Gary

Offline mcneight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 February 11 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary
I tried to attach a copy of the shipping list which I'd copied from our local library. But its too big. The shipping list is not for the NZ Company ships but on a different reel & is of ships 1839-48 I'll try next week to get a smaller copy & attach it again.
Thanks for the link to papers past. Isn't it a great resource
John Armstrong is my great great grandfather.
His son Alfred Smith Leo A,had a daughter Ida Mildred who had a daughter Elizabeth Ida & that was my mum.
I found a heap of stuff by googling Ida's name  - someone else has done a wonderful amount of research so many thanks to them.
And the info in rootschat is great too

cheers
Liz

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 February 11 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh, the penny has dropped with the surname you use!
My father did an awful lot of correspondence and work in the last 30 - 40 years compiling the family tree.
He put some of it on World Family Tree site some years ago as well as distributing updates of records far and wide within the extended family for comment/correction.

I probably have a photo or two that may be of interest to you. a photocopy of one in front of me here has Len, Ida, Bill, Alfred, Emma and her mother "Grandma (Rebecca)Hand'. There are a number of others at Dad's place - I was only looking through them 2 weeks ago.

Bill was my grandfather.

Cheers,
Gary.

Offline mcneight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 February 11 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gary, a photo would be most appreciated, as we knew very little of Ida or her family. The few family photos we have are of her with her husband & adult children.
I was wrong about Ann Nora O'Brien accompanying her husband
When I was reading  the shipping list again I saw the note at the top about wives not embarking. One of the things I enjoy about family research is coming across notes like that which I missed seeing all the other times I looked at a document.
Unfortunately I can't send you a copy as its too big. If you would like to see it I could send it in 2 halves.

Your father did a wonderful amount of work on the family tree. I wonder if he ever contacted mum or her brother Donald. I really appreciate finding all this information.

cheers
Liz

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 February 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
I hope this works as I have never posted a picture in here before.
This is Len, Ida and William (Bill) at back.  Alfred, Emma and her mother Rebecca Hand.

Offline Tizme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 February 11 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Liz,

If you send me a contact e-mail address by PM we can continue the discussion privately if you wish.
I am sure if others reading this are interested, they can do likewise.

In answer to your previous question, I have not seen any mail from Don but I have met Peter several times over the years.

Cheers,

Gary.