Author Topic: Death Registration 1917  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Death Registration 1917
« on: Sunday 02 March 08 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My great uncle died in May 1917 whilst fighting in France, can sks please help me locate his death registration index number so that I can order a copy of the certificate.

Regards

Half Pint

Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death Registration 1917
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 08 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What was his name and age when he died

Have you looked him up on this website - it's down for maintenance at the moment so try on Monday

www.cwgc.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 March 08 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Would you like to give his name age and birthplace if known?

Barbara  :) :)oops sorry Carole
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 March 08 13:52 GMT (UK) »
You will find that the Cause of Death is just Killed or Missing in action and the place of death is France; Belgium etc.

This topic has been covered at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,271988.0.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 March 08 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

Although I have over 1600 people in my tree, he is the first that I am aware of, that died whilst in the Armed Services.  I have all the information that is available from the CWGC and a copy of his medals and service record. 

I can fully appreciate the reasons why their death certificates would only read "killed in action" etc but would like either a copy of the certificate or the index number, just to finish off my records.

He served in the RFA and was killed in May 1917 in France. 

According to family word, the first his parents and siblings knew of his marriage was when she arrived to tell them of his death and had married whilst on his last leave.  His next of kin is listed as Mrs Nellie Goodwin nee Heap.   My research shows that she was born just a few miles away from where he was born and brought up and the marital home was only three streets away from his parents home.  I have yet to find the marriage certificate although I have seen some of her family papers that confirm this.

It has been mentioned on one of the linked topics that the index number can be found in the Oversea's Deaths section, can sks please tell me where I could find these.

Also does anyone know why Ancestry have changed their home page layout so that you now have to go through to their database page to get to the BMD's, it is now very long winded and frustrating.

Regards

Half Pint

Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 08 19:43 GMT (UK) »

It has been mentioned on one of the linked topics that the index number can be found in the Oversea's Deaths section, can sks please tell me where I could find these.

Hi Half Pint,

On www.findmypast.com click on 'births marriages deaths' at the top of page, then scroll down to 'deaths and burials', then either 'soldiers died in the great war' or 'deaths British overseas' then enter the name

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 08 20:10 GMT (UK) »
hi all

think it's david goodwin died 20/05/1917
service no. 46803
from CWGC

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 08 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Half Pint

I cannot see any very recent change in the way Ancestry accesses BMD data.  You click on search at the top of the home menu and will then eventually get a list of data sets down the right hand side of the screen and go to England and Wales BMD index under Births Marriages and Deaths in the Historical Records section.  Incidentally, other Rootschatters have pointed out that the Ancestry copy of Freebmd is not as up to date as the records on the actual Freebmd site - so to search Freebmd use the actual site rather than the Ancestry copy.

Good luck

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
The GRO Reference is